Anybody interested in writing a book? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
LOL you were the person I was going to approach about photos so it brings me nothing but happiness to see you comment here.
LMK

Best,

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Unintentional plagiarism is when you copy someone's idea in your own words. It's still plagiarism if you do not give them credit.

Usually nobody can catch you though. I've done this tons of times in every single college research paper I've ever written.

As long as the information provided isn't direct data from research or studies you can get away with paraphrasing it.
post #33 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Ah. Well we wouldn't want to plagiarize anybody. Something certainly to keep in mind.

I fully understand now, organizing our info first. So we can fact check with other places..

But the blog does seem rather interesting too.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #34 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I think it would be in your best interest to paraphrase when you can, while still giving credit for the data or methods you decide to use. There's no need to credit someone if they've stated the obvious, they have no claim over that information, hence no need to credit them for saying it-even if you copied it from them.

You only need to credit them when you take something they came up with.

Maybe you should start by getting all the people you want on the project together, unless you wanted to solo this. Information gathering can come after the initial planning.

You must decide chapters, content, layout. All of that before you even gather information. Then you'd need writers like myself to write and revise, it's a lot of work and it would help if we kept it organized and linear.
post #35 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
I think it would be in your best interest to paraphrase when you can, while still giving credit for the data or methods you decide to use. There's no need to credit someone if they've stated the obvious, they have no claim over that information, hence no need to credit them for saying it, even if you copied it from them.

You only need to credit them when you take something they came up with.
Well our authors won't be credited other than if they have something special they want to reveal, we could organize a vignette for techniques and stuff, otherwise our authors would be credited by their name as author lol.

*Retired for now*
post #36 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I have a habit of adding a lot more to my initial post via editing, perhaps I should revise before posting?

Either way, I must get to class, I will be back relatively soon.

Count me in for this. I've kept shrimp for a decent amount of time, can gather information, can write very well, and can revise and organize mass amounts of information to make it logical and linear.

I've got tons of college essays tens of pages long that you can thumb through if you want to see my writing caliber. I've won awards and scholarships for the quality of my research papers; don't mean to toot my own horn, but I feel I have the credentials to at least be a revising author for this.

LMK.
post #37 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:

Maybe you should start by getting all the people you want on the project together, unless you wanted to solo this. Information gathering can come after the initial planning.
I have no intention on soloing it. I'm definitely gauging interest here.

I'd love for a team of 3-6 information suppliers, one or two picture suppliers who could also give information (who would get credit for each photo) and an editor or two.

Of course we have someone who does marketing who already offered his help. Myself, an editor/organizer and information supplier where possible. If you feel you'd be up to helping edit, then we have you. We have a photo and information man in Nick.. We have a few other contributors, we just need some more people who will take time to contribute.

*Retired for now*
post #38 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
I have a habit of adding a lot more to my initial post via editing, perhaps I should revise before posting?

Either way, I must get to class, I will be back relatively soon.

Count me in for this. I've kept shrimp for a decent amount of time, can gather information, can write very well, and can revise and organize mass amounts of information to make it logical and linear.

I've got tons of college essays tens of pages long that you can thumb through if you want to see my writing caliber. I've won awards and scholarships for the quality of my research papers; don't mean to toot my own horn, but I feel I have the credentials to at least be a revising author for this.

LMK.
Haha! Well very nice. I'm a student myself. St. Bonaventure University JMC school. It is nice to have people willing to contribute.

We could always use more

*Retired for now*
post #39 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i would buy it too >.<! based on tpt there are more info can make it a encyclopedia
post #40 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't consider myself an expert, just someone who has found what works for their shrimp. When I strayed from that, I took a huge hit in population and I've recently went back to the simplier is better method and it's slowly coming back.

I would suggest a website or blogspot too, but then again, mostly it will contain information already found in these forums or other sites. Planet inverts does a great job on listing breeding, water parms, etc for each species. Shrimp now as well, shrimpkeeping, shrimp insider,gtaforums, the various facebook pages for their sites are great info as well, but it's only as useful as those that read,will actually read it fully. That's the problem today in general with the internet. People get into something half cocked because they read something on the internet. I have literally read the entire shrimp section of this site and shrimp now, forums going back years and that's where any knowledge I have comes from mostly, stuff that's already out there. I subscribe to sites like shrimpnews.com and although it a site for commercial breeding in huge farms, you can learn a lot by reading the weekly emails, the journals on the site, the information there can transcribe down to our tanks.

I currently bought a new phone and wanted to upgrade the android on it. There is no official android but dev's have made packages for the phone to upgrade to the latest. I read probably 1000 forum posts before I did it and had no problems. the people that read 2 forum post and then try, usually brick their phones. I now have people offering me money to teamview into their PC's to fix their phones like I am some sort of expert. I have never developed anything for android, I am not a dev, I just read, read, read and now am classified into some uber elite I can fix anything on the Samsung Galaxy S 4G phone guru. lol.

I have no problem with doing a site or book or whatever, but it's only going to paint a very small picture that won't replace spending 3 months reading back to 2009 on here and other sites or reading jumbo prawn farming journals and everything else you can find about shrimp. Google translate rocks for reading some of the German forums.

I guess to sum up my rant, is it will only be useful to those that read whatever you put out as a stepping stone to reading more and doing more research. Those that read it, and expect the get rich quick breeding shrimp scheme, well, nothing will help or benefit them as the information is out there. Also, be prepared for disagreement with anything you put out. lol. Everyone has their own opinion and way. lol.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps

Last edited by GeToChKn; 10-25-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: ...
post #41 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Have you read "sage advice for newbie shrimp keepers" thread by youjettisonme?

It's been translated to Spanish by acuaristas.cl

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
post #42 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Children Boogie

It's a lot of work to put out a book of quality. Sure you can put one out easily but will it be good? You need good writers, editor(s), designers, and photographers.

Try publishing it digital first to see if people actually like it the you can publish it in print yourself through amazon and a few other online publishers.

post #43 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

That's so true. People can only get as much help as they will take in.

It took me sooo much reading before I decided to buy shrimp, and I've been reading ever since.

I'm the same as you. I love reading, I'll be doing it for a long time. I feel there are people out there who will read a book on the basics. Kind of like how popular the ____ for dummies books are.

I'm glad you're willing to contribute. If people feel it is better, we could do a blog style website which releases an article every week or so.

It reaally depends on what people think is best.. I'm willing to do the writing.

*Retired for now*
post #44 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
It's a lot of work to put out a book of quality. Sure you can put one out easily but will it be good? You need good writers, editor(s), designers, and photographers.

Try publishing it digital first to see if people actually like it the you can publish it in print yourself through amazon and a few other online publishers.
We already widely accepted that it would at least first run as an e-book

*Retired for now*
post #45 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Have you read "sage advice for newbie shrimp keepers" thread by youjettisonme?

It's been translated to Spanish by acuaristas.cl
It was mentioned once here

*Retired for now*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode