Fluval Edge 6gal with Fluval Shrimp Stratum and DHG carpet. Tanks a little over a month old.
Temp- 74f-78f (summer heat)
weekly 50% WC
i do use the fluval 88 co2 kit, but release very little co2 (1 bubble every 4-7sec) to be on the safe side, yet give my plants a boost. dose light on flourish as well.
I've done a lot of research and have an idea on some of my own questions, but more info is always better!
I have 5 low grade CRS at the moment that i bought from my LFS. I've had them about 2-3 weeks so far and they are all about ------ long. All the shrimps look to be healthy and active. I've happen to spot a couple molts as well. Im almost certain i wont have a problem keeping CRS healthy and alive, but breeding that where i could use help. The other night i believe i might have seen breeding behavior but i am not certain because i have no experience. I saw 4/5 shrimps swimming around like crazy and would mount on each other while swimming around if they crossed paths. I could not spot my last shrimp because i believe that the ones swimming were males and the one hiding was the female? although i am not sure....
1) I do not test for gh, kh, TDM. do you guys think i can expect to have my CRS breed with my current water parameters? Success rate for breeding without testing for gh, kh, TDM?
2) I'm not certain but i think 4 out of my 5 shrimps are males and have only 1 female. Thats a horrible ratio so should i buy more or 1 female is all i need? but at the same time i'm not too sure about sexing either...
3) Are my ------ long shrimp even mature enough to breed?
4) How long til i can expect to see a berried female? and if i dont see one how long should i wait til i know something is preventing breeding from happening?
5) I have 4 celestial pearl danios (galaxy rasbora) will this effect breeding? will they eat shrimplets? i have yet to see them harass my shrimps.
Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!