The Planted Tank Forum banner

My green shrimp are turning orange, and then dying

21K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  ricleyle 
#1 ·
Hi, about 2 months back I bought a large number of Babaulti Green shrimp from someone who was moving. Not sure of the water parameters for them, I put them in a couple different tanks. I also got some Babaulti striped shrimp mixed in with them.

However, a month after getting them they started turning from green to Orange in one of my tanks. They still fed and were active. But starting about 2 weeks after turning Orange, they turn up dead.

This is only happening in one of my tanks. This tank also houses neos, and Tiger shrimp. Neither has suffered any losses. It is only the greens.

Parameters:
- PH 7.0
- GH 7
- KH 2
- TDS 220~250
- Ammonia 0
- Nitrite 0
- Nitrate 15

Tank also has a Ebiken mineral stone in it.

Substrate is an inert Caribsea gravel.

I have an identical tank next to this one where I put the Babaulti Striped shrimp in, which also has Neos in it. There are no problems with them.

All tanks get the same food and water change schedule.

Food is primarily ADA Bee Food, plus the occasional Ken's sinking pellet and Shikakra food.

I did a 4 day treatment of Seachem Paraguard to no effect.

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a weird observation....I've never heard of them turning orange before. Perhaps it's an internal parasite. Maybe they're just old and finally reached their time? shrimp tend to change color when reaching old age and before kicking the bucket. However, it could mean a number of things.

Maybe the nitrates and tds is too high? I doubt it though as they are very very durable shrimp.
I would say try and go another route and get antibiotics for the tank in case it is paraguard resistant.

Sorry that I can't help much, never heard of this case before.

#8 ·
All shrimp will turn into a mini cocktail shrimp when they die. They didn't walk around while they were orange colored right?

Your parameters seem fine. Do you use CO2?

#12 ·
Here's photos I just took.

Photo #1 - Two of my last Green shrimp that are still green.

Photo #2 - A formerly green shrimp, actively looking for food in the moss.

Same tank. Same stock. I started with 50, and I'm probably down to around 10~15 still alive.

#18 ·
Ok, I *think* I found the problem with my tank. Phosphates are >10ppm. From what I've read, Neos are fine with this, but CRS are not. I'm guessing Green's share the CRS sensitivity to phosphates.

That would fit them slowly getting stressed (turning orange) and then dying

#19 · (Edited)
my green turns orange , same thing here ...
i bought 6 greens they bred fast
after 6months, i counted 80 nice green color young adults, i sold 40 of them and about 40 left
recently i added 10 red rilli this tank. after that i started to see my greens losing color - > white ->yellow -> orange - > dead - > eaten by big tigers
im not sure, but i will move rilli from this tank , and gonna see whats gonna happen :D

#20 ·
Hi, I'm having the same problem.they turned pink and after a few days, they die. Started after an amonia spike (issues with filter). Now there's 0 amonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. They keep dying. It looks like males only males are dying and they are not even adults.<br />
<br />
Bump: Hi, I'm having the sa problem.they turned pink and after a few days, they die. Started after an amonia spike (issues with filter). Now there's amonia, nitrites and 5 nitrates. They keep dying. It looks like males only males are dying and they are not even adults.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.