The Planted Tank Forum banner

Borne Wild Vigor growing mold

4K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  Betta Maniac 
#1 ·
I just got a bottle vigor a couple weeks ago and I opened it today and it was full of white mold. Anyone else experience this? It is unlike the other BW powder products as it is somewhat moist. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

#3 ·
Yeah sounds like mine, I had it closed for a few days so the fuzzy mold filled in the top. I stirred it up a bit so it looks normal now. I still used it just was seeing if this was normal. On a side note vigor has a weird smell almost fruity but not quite.

#30 ·
Well, have you gotten the answer you were seeking from the responses on the thread?????

I DO use Borneowild products and this one was about to be added to the roster. You obviously weren't going to email them based on your post to me so I did it for you. You're welcome. ;) I'll report back when I hear from the company so you all can have some solid information.

#32 ·
I had mentioned in my email to them that I had not purchased this product yet but was about to place an order. They missed that part:) And this is why, the folks having a problem need to write to them directly. So they can be sure to tell their vendors this information. Here is the response I received

May I know whom did you purchased the product from?

Vigor must be stored in refrigerator after purchase, as well as after being
opened and use.

We store them in fridge before exports them strictly by air. This process takes
around a week and
is ok. Retailers are adviced to store them in fridge upon receiving.

My question is, is this info on the jar? And for the folks having problems are you refrigerating it? If you are and are still having problems shoot them an email.

#34 ·
Yep, I contacted h4n who I get my goodies from and he said its not on the bottle. I also checked their site and it's not there either. I went ahead and made another thread just for those not checking this particular thread.

That worries me. I wonder if I should ask them what other products need to be refrigerated. Yes, I think I will do that.

#36 ·
Well, now this has really thrown a monkey wrench in my order. I just emailed to ask if other products of theirs need to be refrigerated. I also brought up that since this info is not on the bottle anywhere about storage temps nor is it on their website, that it is concerning to me. Vendors, sellers, and such shouldn't HAVE to be informed it needs to be refrigerated in order to turn around and inform their customers. THis info should be on the label plain and simple. Cause now, if I want to purchase Vigor I'm going to have to ask the vendor 'you refrigerated it right after you got it right? And the person you got it from refrigerated it right?' and so on and so forth. This is basic labeling info 101 ya know?

However, I do find it odd that this may be a recent occurrence. That sounds more like a batch issue to me as opposed to not storing at proper temps right? I mean, if all the Vigor ever sold molded there'd be a ton of threads on it, right? Just tossing some general thoughts out about it. I really want to get their Shield product but not until I find out about the refrigeration/storage temp stuff on everything.

Glad I could be of help.:) For those of you who are ordering through vendors here or other sites, you should really drop them a line and see if they were told to refrigerate it. Because if they weren't, I do believe some refunds may be in order to those vendors and then of course, to customers having problems. If enough people make a fuss to Borneowild then those labels will be done correctly. At least, one would hope!

#38 ·
That sounds more like a batch issue to me as opposed to not storing at proper temps right? I mean, if all the Vigor ever sold molded there'd be a ton of threads on it, right?
It's a quality control issue. It means either their containers weren't properly sanitized, the batch wasn't heated appropriately, or there are mold spores in the filling area. It also means a proper QC test wasn't performed on that batch. I work at a factory that produces liquid & paste products that are filled into jars and bottles. Every batch has a sample pulled from the line and tested in a lab for bacteria and mold before the stuff is released for shipping. An unrefrigerated food product may spoil and go rotten, but it should never mold until after it's been opened and exposed to contaminated air by the consumer. I'd be demanding a refund or exchange if I opened a sealed container and found fuzz.

#43 · (Edited)
#39 ·
For those not checking the other thread here was the latest response

I checked and our bad that we do not have that line on the sticker.

I do keep dealers reminded that the product needs to be refridgerated or they
turn mouldy.

At the moment, only this product needs to be refridgerate.

Folks, I got no dog in this fight because I wanted the product, didn't have it ordered yet but if I HAD and DID have this problem, oh, I'd be demanding a refund due to labeling inadequacies. OBviously everyone can choose to do what they like but you shouldn't have to deal with this crap because 'oh, our bad, we forgot to put that it needs to be refrigerated on the label'. Yeah, and a nice reminder...it's not on their website either.

Oh, and the guy that responded to my inquiry through the Borneowild email I posted earlier is a distributor for Borneowild and many other shrimp related products. I have his direct email if anyone wants it:)

I'm actually quite irritated by the ho hum attitude that he is taking. This was my response

Well, the person I buy your products from had never heard these needed to be refrigerated. He is still waiting to hear back from the distributor he deals with. This information isn't on your website either. I think it's impractical to think you reminding dealers to refrigerate it is going to do any good. These products exchange several hands sometimes before they get in the hands of the consumer and now I have to hope that the person I get it from refrigerated it and the person they got it from refrigerated it and so on. This absolutely needs to be information on the label about storage temperatures. That should be a common requirement for any sort of feed stuff, be it for humans, shrimps, or other animals. I will not be buying this product in the future sadly because of this.

#42 ·
i just openned mine after not using it for several months. TBH, the top layer is pretty fluffy with an intense smell of vinegar.. wth...

im sort of done with their "grow" and "barley" as well as these are easily replaced from other sources.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.