Movie: Upbringing of young Taiwan Bees from F1 hybrids - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 206
Now I'm tempted to try feeding some of my bee pollen to my shrimp...
Polarize is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby714 View Post
Sorry, this is extremly selfmade [censored][censored][censored][censored]. I hope my english is enough to say why:

The Söchting Oxydator's stand ceramics is split the hydrogen peroxide's oxygen to a atomic level. This is never reached with selfmade Oxydators. This is the reason, why this Oxydators do alot more as 100% oxygen in water.
Really, this tool is a blessing for shrimp tanks.
GarnelenTom is offline  
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ohbaby714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 785
Not trying to devalue anyone product, and i'm sure most of the time quality of product is a reflection of price.


Thank again for posting and explain how the ceramic help in the process, maybe i can some how incorporate the ceramic dish to it

Do you know if anyone selling them in the state?


Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnelenTom View Post
Sorry, this is extremly selfmade [censored][censored][censored][censored]. I hope my english is enough to say why:

The Söchting Oxydator's stand ceramics is split the hydrogen peroxide's oxygen to a atomic level. This is never reached with selfmade Oxydators. This is the reason, why this Oxydators do alot more as 100% oxygen in water.
Really, this tool is a blessing for shrimp tanks.

Last edited by ohbaby714; 05-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.
ohbaby714 is offline  
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Puzzled...
 
jimko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, CA
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnelenTom View Post
Yes, flower pollen.
I buyed this bio pollen in a german online shop here

Its a very nice food for young shrimps! Much vitamin, but use only a very little!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby714 View Post
Thanks for the Clarification!!! Much appreciated.

I have a lot to learn from you Tom. Thanks for sharing your experience with this community.
jimko is offline  
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jczernia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 532
Thank you for shearing
jczernia is offline  
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Posts: 1,921
Oer. I need to work harder on my German. Some kind of bubble snail. But I totally want that snail. And the video was awesome.

OH. A bladder snail. I think. Don't quote me. Geez, where's my dictionary when I need it.
thechibi is offline  
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Algae Grower
 
triscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 110
not sure whether it is just local name of this snail but we call it Physa or with Z. Have many of them in my tank.
triscene is offline  
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Algae Grower
 
golfwang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 114
Great video for new shrimp hobbyists thanks for sharing

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
golfwang is offline  
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Jorge_Burrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnelenTom View Post
Sorry, this is extremly selfmade [censored][censored][censored][censored]. I hope my english is enough to say why:

The Söchting Oxydator's stand ceramics is split the hydrogen peroxide's oxygen to a atomic level. This is never reached with selfmade Oxydators. This is the reason, why this Oxydators do alot more as 100% oxygen in water.
Really, this tool is a blessing for shrimp tanks.
I don't want to get into a chemistry argument with a person who does not speak English as his primary language, that wouldn't quite seem fair, but I don't think you are quite correct on your explanation. H202 will decompose into "atomic oxygen" and water spontaneously. I have shown the decomposition reaction below. This reaction takes place on its own without an external force or additional chemicals needed to drive it.

2 H2O2 --> 2 H2O + O2

It is a fairly slow reaction though and may not release as much oxygen as you would like into your tank. This is where the ceramic comes in as it acts as a catalyst to speed the reaction up so more oxygen is released. The ceramic is probably Manganese Dioxide based and allows a faster breakdown of the hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water. The lead weights in the linked homemade reactor are providing the same service as the ceramic, though...they are acting as a catalyst to speed up the reaction. Now the Oxydator clearly looks a lot nicer and I am sure quite a bit of studying has gone in to figure out optimal catalyst levels to give adequate formation of oxygen (without producing too much), but functionally there is no difference between what the homemade system and the Oxydator is doing. Certainly, there is no difference in the "type" of oxygen being formed, both are forming atomic oxygen (as well as water).

~Jorge_Burrito, Ph.D. (in Chemistry)

P.S. Sorry for all the people whose eyes just glossed over reading that, bad claims of chemistry is a pet peeve.

Also those snails are pretty awesome looking.
Jorge_Burrito is offline  
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jkan0228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 5,485
If you had a pressurized O2 system, would this achieve the same effect? Just a lot more expensive?
jkan0228 is offline  
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Senior Shrimpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
If you had a pressurized O2 system, would this achieve the same effect? Just a lot more expensive?
Well it seems pretty easy to overdose... that little oxygenator thing is only giving out the tiniest stream of bubbles and to spend money on an O2 system for that would be kinda silly.

I'd be more worried about the shrimp dying from too much oxygen. The water either wouldn't be able to hold all the gas and it would just not dissolve into the air or it would dissolve to unsafe levels for the shrimp.
Senior Shrimpo is offline  
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,695
Could this not be achieved by adding an airstone?

Just wanted to add, Thanks for sharing this video. Just love seeing how others around the world care for these magnificient little creatures. Makes me want to get some blue shrimp

"I am Groot", the faithful protector

Last edited by acitydweller; 05-24-2012 at 06:05 PM.
acitydweller is offline  
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,552
With an airstone comes surface agitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Could this not be achieved by adding an airstone?
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
With an airstone comes surface agitation.
Which is only a problem if you're adding CO2. If you don't add CO2, agitation doesn't matter much.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline  
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge_Burrito View Post
I don't want to get into a chemistry argument with a person who does not speak English as his primary language, that wouldn't quite seem fair, but I don't think you are quite correct on your explanation. H202 will decompose into "atomic oxygen" and water spontaneously. I have shown the decomposition reaction below. This reaction takes place on its own without an external force or additional chemicals needed to drive it.

2 H2O2 --> 2 H2O + O2

It is a fairly slow reaction though and may not release as much oxygen as you would like into your tank. This is where the ceramic comes in as it acts as a catalyst to speed the reaction up so more oxygen is released. The ceramic is probably Manganese Dioxide based and allows a faster breakdown of the hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water. The lead weights in the linked homemade reactor are providing the same service as the ceramic, though...they are acting as a catalyst to speed up the reaction. Now the Oxydator clearly looks a lot nicer and I am sure quite a bit of studying has gone in to figure out optimal catalyst levels to give adequate formation of oxygen (without producing too much), but functionally there is no difference between what the homemade system and the Oxydator is doing. Certainly, there is no difference in the "type" of oxygen being formed, both are forming atomic oxygen (as well as water).

~Jorge_Burrito, Ph.D. (in Chemistry)

P.S. Sorry for all the people whose eyes just glossed over reading that, bad claims of chemistry is a pet peeve.

Also those snails are pretty awesome looking.
I understand and think you are right Jorge, thanx!
GarnelenTom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome