Dipping your plants. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Dipping your plants.

What does everyone here dip their plants in to rid them of any pests, snails, snail eggs etc. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Plant Clown

A 5% bleach dip works, but can be rough on plants. Potassium permanganate is much gentler (I've used it with moss), though it takes longer. And a tiny pinch of the stuff goes a looong way.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

I dip them into a 2:1 hydrogen peroxide to water solution and then I have a 2 1/2 gallon tank with plain water I put them into for a bit to let the plants relax so it's easier to spot nasties before I put them in my tanks.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
A 5% bleach dip works, but can be rough on plants. Potassium permanganate is much gentler (I've used it with moss), though it takes longer. And a tiny pinch of the stuff goes a looong way.
Do you use the liquid PP? I have a bottle of Jungle Clear Water and it is mostly made of PP, but I don't know how much to use or how long to soak. Thanks.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi travisk,

There are several recommended treatments including dips in dilute hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), potassium permanganate, and mild (5%) bleach. All can have some positive effects, but some damage sensitive plants. I have not found any to be 100% effective; especially dealing with snail eggs.

Today I use the quarantine method. I purchase a plant and it goes into a quarantine tank or tray with moderate light above it and water mildly fertilized with a balanced general purpose fertilizer like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. I also add 2 -3 drops of Seachem Cupramine per gallon of water in the aquarium or tray. The copper in the Cupramine kills the snails, but not the unhatched snail eggs. I continue the treatment for about 4 weeks depending on water temperature to insure all snail eggs have had sufficient time to hatch. If I am treating the water in a tray without filtration I change the water 1 - 2 times a week as needed to avoid surface scum and stale water. Rinse plants thoroughly after treatment to remove copper, avoid using plants treated this way in aquariums containing shrimp or other invertebrates. All of my tanks are Snail-Free.

Better yet, purchase plants from forum members that are snail-free to begin with!

30 Gallon Snail-Free

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0 48"/59W, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum filters; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K, 1X Marineland 350 Magnum filter; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W, Marineland C-220 filter; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit, Marineland C-160 filter; all with Press. CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Algae Grower

I use an alum dip, 1 or 2 Tblsp per gallon, soak for 24-48 hours depending on concentration (weaker solution soak longer). I only use a weaker solution for really delicate plants, and I've left plants in for longer than recommended with no problems. It's a very gentle dip -- I used bleach once and it was hard on my plants. Also didn't like having to stand over it with a timer! You can get alum in the spice aisle of the grocery store, McCormick sells it.

ETA: also check out this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ail-order.html

Last edited by variable; 02-25-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added link
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks everyone, what about ridding them in your tanks?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Have you considered going over ever plant by hand to make sure they're snail-free? Only takes a few minutes per plant to rid them of even the tiniest snail or clutch of eggs.

As far as pests go, even dips won't rid plants of all pests.

I've found going over every leaf and stem by hand to be a solid and safe way to introduce new plants to my tanks.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Does anyone use liquid potassium permanganate to dip plants, like Jungle Clear Water? If so, how much do you use and for how long? Thanks!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

I use the jungle clear water for snails. I use about a teaspoon per gallon in whatever container you are dipping them in. It's pretty mild(much less concentrated than the crystal form). I've left xmas moss to soak in it for half a day without it doing any noticeable damage. As others have said, it takes longer than other dips, but it's worth not defoliating your plants with H2O2, bleach, or excel.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Peroxide and let them sit in a bucket overnight if they look clean

FUNction over form
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Algae Grower

I'd favor H2O2 over potassium permanganate. I overdosed a bucket of PP (way more than suggested) and dipped the plants in for 2 hours. Some of the plants actually died, yet the snails were fine.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Plant Clown

I got pp from either Amazon or Evilbay. A tiny vial of only a couple grams will last many dips.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use salt water dips.

It's actually very effective for snails and most snail eggs - snails and slugs have very little defense against salt in general.

It works for leeches and dragonflys too - most of those will drop right off a plant if you stick it into really saltyyyyyyyyyyyyy water for like 5-10 minutes.

It can stress a plant though if it's super salty.

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

SAPS | sfbaaps | SAS
My Tank(s) Blog
| TPT Clubs: RAOK Club #7 | Fraternity of Dirt #62 | ADA Club #2 |
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Shrimpsanity

Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Thank God I only stock my tank with plants from other people's tanks. Snails in general are welcome in my tank.

|ShrimpTech|v1|v2|v3|v4|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode