The Planted Tank Forum banner

What was your first shrimp ever and why did you get it?

2K views 40 replies 37 participants last post by  shrimpnmoss 
#1 ·
My original start with shrimp was in 2005 when I bought a batch of cherries. That also happens to be a time when I started with planted tanks so it was recommended as a means of controlling algae. Eventually I quit high tech planted tanks and started with shrimp tanks only.

How did you start?

#30 ·
I was a teenager in the late 60s and got some crayfish for my 10 gal tank. It was cool watching them crawling around the substrate picking out bits to eat. Got a few ghost shrimp back in the early 80s when I lived in San Diego, CA. Now I've got one Amano shrimp who comes out in the open every few days LOL. I want more and some bloody mary shrimp if they can be had without a loan against the house LOL.

#31 ·
Do Sea Monkeys count? lol
My first shrimp are arriving later today. Amanos to mow down all the hair algae. I'll get some Fire Reds next month.
I moved my 3 fishies from their 12 gallon to the 20 long to cycle it, and now I'm sad that I have to move them back to their old tank cuz they love the 20 long so much, I can tell. lol

#34 ·
I started out with 10 PFRs which were sold to me as RCS on eBay in November of 2010. I've come a pretty far way having bred and sold at least... 75 or so CRS, and now working on higher grades. Unfortunately all the originals I had died over the summer of last year while I was in California on vacation. All the CRS in that tank, however, survived. Weird.

#36 ·
My first were red cherries which was only 2 weeks ago :) I read about them on craigslist, did weeks of research before jumping into it on freshwater, plants, shrimp, cycling, ect. Already have 4 pregnant and expect a couple more to also be in a a few days. I will eventually move on to more difficult shrimp such as CRS and OEBT.

#40 ·
Heh, neat stories... my first and so far only shrimp were ghost shrimp. We put them in with the betta, he found them delicious.

As to the person trying to breed ghost shrimp, most species of ghost shrimp are actually brackish. So if you want the babies to survive you'll probably have to set up a brackish tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.