Borneo Wild products - reviews? - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
darkestsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: clermont, fl. or naples, fl
Posts: 689
I ordered a bottle for myself a while back. I can't say exactly how well it works. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the way my plants look. I'm really not regular at all with the dosing, and it's supposed to be dosed every day. Haven't lost any shrimp though
darkestsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestsky View Post
I ordered a bottle for myself a while back. I can't say exactly how well it works. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the way my plants look. I'm really not regular at all with the dosing, and it's supposed to be dosed every day. Haven't lost any shrimp though
Thanks. I thought you can dose once a week or something very infrequent...this makes it a deal breaker for me.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #153 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Buff Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cartersville, GA
Posts: 434
Bebi and Shield are essentials for my tanks, now. Color makes the colors of all my shrimp brighter and deeper. Barley isn't in my tanks long enough to benefit water quality because it is eaten within a couple of hours... Next up to try will be Dance!

"If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much..."
Kipling

Fluval Ebi Pimp #29
Buff Daddy is offline  
post #154 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Posts: 1,921
So far Color seems to be the favorite food, but since the shrimps are finally figuring out 'glass dish=food, just don't mind the habrosus', I'm gonna keep trying the others. I use Shield when I do water changes and it seems to make them pretty happy. I may go for Barley next.
thechibi is offline  
post #155 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
as far as the BW humic goes, is it just a buffer for the water that's already at 6.5? or can it be used like as peat moss or indian almond leaves can to actually bring the pH down? i'd like to keep shrimp other than neocaridina at some point, but my water is around 8.0 after sitting out of the tap, and i don't know KH, GH, or TDS out of tap but i bet they're all high. i get some nasty hard water stains and calcium deposits, and my water loves to buffer :l.
is there any way i can use tap water, or would i have to go RO (or can you do distilled)?
CatB is offline  
post #156 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,695
Use distilled from the local supermarket. If you have money burning through your pocket and the space, get an RO unit...

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
acitydweller is offline  
post #157 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Use distilled from the local supermarket. If you have money burning through your pocket and the space, get an RO unit...
okay, so humic then keeps it at 6.5, acting as a buffer, or...?
CatB is offline  
post #158 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
okay, so humic then keeps it at 6.5, acting as a buffer, or...?
I use Humic in my 20 gallon. I put in half of the container in a bag and stuck it in the hob filter. My ph is around 6.3 but I also have akadama substrate.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #159 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I use Humic in my 20 gallon. I put in half of the container in a bag and stuck it in the hob filter. My ph is around 6.3 but I also have akadama substrate.
what's the pH of the water when you put it in the tank?
basically
does it change it to 6.5-ish or does it maintain itat 6.5-ish?
i feel like i asked the wrong question for the answer i wanted or something xD
i just want someone to clarify exactly what the product does ;-;
CatB is offline  
post #160 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
what's the pH of the water when you put it in the tank?
basically
does it change it to 6.5-ish or does it maintain itat 6.5-ish?
i feel like i asked the wrong question for the answer i wanted or something xD
i just want someone to clarify exactly what the product does ;-;
I buy distilled water from the supermarket so technically it should be around 7.0 PH. Since my current PH in the tank is lower, that means that my akadama substrate and the humic are lowering the PH.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #161 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I buy distilled water from the supermarket so technically it should be around 7.0 PH. Since my current PH in the tank is lower, that means that my akadama substrate and the humic are lowering the PH.
okay, thanks
i've tested the distilled water i get from wal-mart though, it tests at around 6.4 i think. not sure if yours is the same.
CatB is offline  
post #162 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
okay, thanks
i've tested the distilled water i get from wal-mart though, it tests at around 6.4 i think. not sure if yours is the same.
When I test mine it's all over the place. Sometimes it's 7 and others it's 6.4 like yours. I buy Poland Spring from the supermarket. I think it has to do with the fact how much CO2 it has absorbed.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #163 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
When I test mine it's all over the place. Sometimes it's 7 and others it's 6.4 like yours. I buy Poland Spring from the supermarket. I think it has to do with the fact how much CO2 it has absorbed.
probably. poland spring spring water or do they make a distilled? i'd chance it that spring water is more stable than distilled, considering it doesn't have all the minerals/buffering agents taken out of it like distilled does. i bet that's why distilled is prone to low pH, kinda like "homemade" RO water
CatB is offline  
post #164 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
probably. poland spring spring water or do they make a distilled? i'd chance it that spring water is more stable than distilled, considering it doesn't have all the minerals/buffering agents taken out of it like distilled does. i bet that's why distilled is prone to low pH, kinda like "homemade" RO water
Poland Spring distilled water....I don't use spring water in my tanks. You can usually find distilled water in the "cleaning stuff" isle. If you do not see it in the regular water section then head over the the bleach and laundry detergents.

I use distilled water for the sole purpose that it has nothing in it.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #165 of 346 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
CatB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,018
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Poland Spring distilled water....I don't use spring water in my tanks. You can usually find distilled water in the "cleaning stuff" isle. If you do not see it in the regular water section then head over the the bleach and laundry detergents.

I use distilled water for the sole purpose that it has nothing in it.
yeah my dad gets distilled water for drinking for some reason (i think it has something to do with kidney stones he used to get?) and also for humidifiers in the winter, our tap water is pretty full of crud, so there's always loads of distilled around the house haha
CatB is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome