The Planted Tank Forum banner

My shrimp rack build. Updated 8/6

14K views 119 replies 38 participants last post by  Bananariot 
#1 ·
So it has fianlly begun. For those of you who dont know I currently have a Mini M that I have been breeding/raising CRS in for the past year. These are the first shrimp I have ever kept and have had great luck. After learning on this tank and doing alot of research I have decided to expand. Im looking to house maybe 4 different types of shrimp and am always looking for imput. The plan is to start with 2 20L's and the add either 2 more 20L's or 3 10's maybe by the fall. My Mini M specs can be found here.. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals/161285-etbarrys-mini-m-crs.html

The 20L's im planning on using UGF with 2215's attached as I am sick of cleaning the sponge on my M so often. Substrate is going to be Amazonia (same as whats in my M) and maybe try Akadama down the road. Just like my smaller tank im going to be using reconstructed Distilled/RO, probly distilled on the CRS tank and RO on the Tiger tank.

Im looking forward to having more planting space and seeing what plants I can get to grow. I guess lets start with some pictures...

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
While I know the shelves are rated for much more than the weight of the tanks, it appears they are particle board. I would replace them with plywood or add plywood to them. Particle board soaks up water like a sponge and then offers no structural support. I have a similar shelf that bowed very badly once the shelves got wet a few times.

The shelves of mine were rated for 1000 lbs and all I had was 3 10g tanks on it....

It is a cheaper fix NOW than 6 months from now when there is water all over...

#7 ·
Yep I have considered all of this. But i want the shelves to be "finished" in some way. im trying to find the right material to wrap them with. I went out and bought some rubber-ish shelf liner that i was going to wrap and staple but im not sure if i like it..

#10 ·
I think the trouble is no matter what you do, the wood will sag eventually. it is a lot easier to replace up front.

I'd be happy with 1/2 or 3/8ths ply in combination with the wood it comes with. Or 3/4 all by itself. I know, it is annoying to have to spend another 30-40 bucks now, but it is worth it.

If you get something that actually waterproofs it enough you've prob spent that much already.

#13 ·
And I do agree and have consided this and still may do it. Marine Plywood and paint is probly the answer. I dont think it will sag much given its only 15" deep.
fixed

#14 ·
Couple of layers polyurethane will do the job 2, but you will have to do a good job on that and don't forget a sq inch.

#16 ·
no rudeness implied just pointing out marine ply would be better

#17 ·
Well the number of plys would depend on grade and the treating process is different from untreated CDX to, a green treated MCQ or AC2... etc, to a marine however the 3/4" should provide an equal amount of strenght. This tank rack is not getting rained/snowed on...

#19 · (Edited)
Update.

Left the top shelf partical board as it will not be supporting any weight (mostly just boxes and storage etc..). Cut some 3/4" 7-ply birch for the bottom 3 shelves and in the process of painting the shelves and the tanks with black oil-based. The two middle shelves will have tanks and the bottom will be filters/ more storage. A few pictures of progress. Other notes im using low pro shop lights with one 8K and one 6500K which are 6in above the tanks should be a nice low/med light. Any thought input is always welcome.

Attachments

#20 ·
Update.

Maybe Ill get some comments on the fruits on my labor. Currently the rack it self is done, shelves painted and ready to go. Finally got the second light installed and am currently waing on some black PVC and some fittings to come in the mail. In the mean time I am using regular white PVC to build the "under gravel" portions of the intakes for the two tanks. The black PVC will be for the intake pipes and the spray bars I am making which Ill try and document best I can. I did ALOT of digging to fnd black PVC if anyone else needs some you can order at www.savko.com. I know the website looks bogus, but I did call before I ordered and they seem to be real great guys. Ill shoot some photos when I get the package. Anywho on to some pics...

The last one is to show the good paint coat on the plywood.

Attachments

#22 ·
Looks good man. Cant wait to see it finished and running. I dont know about you, but I feel better about having real wood there now lol. Im sure you already know this but I feel compelled to say it anyway ... dont underestimate the weight of those tanks filled. I would still be on the lookout for bowing or flexing.

Dont forget to post more pics!

#23 ·
Im going to try to do a good job with pics on this one. I wanted plywood originally but didnt want to do the work... Im glad I did I am happy with the finished product. The shelves are rated for 2K lbs per shelf with 3/4" OSB per the manufacture. but I will still be weary when filling. we are really only talking ~400lbs on the high side of things. We shall see. On a side note I really wish ADG would get soils back in.

#24 ·
Update.

Working on building the filters. I only have soil for one tank right now but Im hoping to start that tank this weekend. Other stuff obtained for this project.. wood from Tom Barr and lava "pebbles" instead of large cluncky lava rocks or expensive matrix (even tho Im sure the matrix is better). As I had posted before I managed to get some black PVC which turned out awesome. I still have to drill the UG intake and the new black PVC spraybar, but I'll show you some construction. It resulted in a GREAT invisible look. If you have any questions please ask. Pictures...

Attachments

#26 ·
lol. I'm really trying to take my time on this build and get everything I want correct so I don't have to redo. I've done that a lot. Haha. I am real happy with the way that the PVC turned out tho. I'll get them drilled and glued (only the fittings that are on the tank rim get glue) this weekend and hopefully the one tank filled. I'm real curious how long it takes new Amazonia to cycle since I've only ever used Amazonia 1 in the past.

#27 ·
Wow those black PVC elbows looks pretty slick. They were probably a pretty penny though :p. I was trying to buy some clear PVC elbows a few weeks back and they were like $6 each, compared to the $.50 each for white haha. Mind me asking how much all that black PVC was? And how come you have the spray bar on the side and not the back middle? Just wondering.

And how much were the lava pebbles? You're gonna have to rinse those really well right?

#34 ·
Wow those black PVC elbows looks pretty slick. They were probably a pretty penny though :p. I was trying to buy some clear PVC elbows a few weeks back and they were like $6 each, compared to the $.50 each for white haha. Mind me asking how much all that black PVC was? And how come you have the spray bar on the side and not the back middle? Just wondering.

And how much were the lava pebbles? You're gonna have to rinse those really well right?

Sorry I didnt get back on this on the last post but I was on my phone. I also found that clear and was like.... Nope, waaaay overpriced just to have to clean the insides... pass. The black PVC was cheap I paid $30 shipped for 16 elbows (8 slipxslip and 8 slipxfemale thread) and 15 feet of pipe. I bought extra for future projects. I did have to cut the fittings shorter for the spray bar, I can show more deails on this if someone wants to see. The other barb fittings bought at Menards from the yard sprinkler section, they work much better than the gray ones. The GIANT bag of lava pebbles was $5, also from Menards, Im planning on rinsing it but the bag really isn't all that dusty. The spray bar is on the side because I wanted to hide it better. I didn't like the way it looked on the back. Also the Eheim 16mm (2217 intake) suction cups hold 1/2" PVC very well, got more in the mail otw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.