UP Aqua Shrimp Sand - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 PM
The Security Dude

Review, I love this stuff looks great! It is buffering my water PH to 6.2 to where the FSS is a 6.5. Looks amazing under light, not easy to plant in, but I have eco complete and MGOPS mixed under it to about 1 1/2" then a 1 1/2 cap of up aqua shrimp sand. I will buy more of this until Liam can bring in the good Japan stuff!

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...half-done.html
Finnex Pimp #8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Sponsor

Here are some photo's of Up Aqua Shrimp sand. The substrate is specifically formulated for shrimp keeping. This substrate has Montmorillonite (Shrimp minerals) added to each grain, you can see this in the second photo. The round shape is to allow better flow. Its extremely dense unlike any other soil substrate available today.

Montmorillonite Minerals attached to each grain.

I hope this was helpful to those who wanted to know.
post #33 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Is this the micro or the regular version ? I think I'm going to have to get some to redo my 20gal..
post #34 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fss?

DBP Club

I ride motorcycles.
post #35 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosenart View Post
Fss?
fluval shrimp stratum.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #36 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:13 AM
The Security Dude

Micro I think, looks like mine. Wish I would have bought more of this instead of 38 Pounds of FSS

Many shrimp tanks
Finnex Pimp #8
post #37 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
It is kinda expensive, but I'm hoping it's worth it.

I'm still having buffering issues with my aquasoil in my 20gal. I have ~20 liters of AS between Malaya and amazonia II and my PH was 6.8 for the first couple weeks when I first set it up and then bam, 8.6. I've tried an entire bottle of Humic, 500grams of peat pellets, and about 6 IAL leaves and the lowest I've gotten it is 7.4.. All while using pure RO water.. The only things left that could possibly be raising the ph are the ceramic bio rings in the filter or something. I don't get it.

Anyways, Im hoping to restart with this shrimp sand, so I just ordered a couple bags. Will report On my findings as well. Really hoping for a difference here and it seems to be going well for you guys so ya, gonna try it. Especially since AS is out of stock everywhere :p
post #38 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:28 PM
The Security Dude

Who what were your readings in the tank for Amonnia and Nitrites?? I find when I does my cycling tanks with amonnia it spikes for a while but then goes back down.

Many shrimp tanks
Finnex Pimp #8
post #39 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
Is this the micro or the regular version ? I think I'm going to have to get some to redo my 20gal..
Its the Micro version, the regular is a little larger.The grain size with Shrimp Sand compliments the shrimp really well being as small as they are.
post #40 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Any thoughts on how the shrimp sand might hold up when coupled with a powered UGF system?
post #41 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 AM
The Security Dude

Yeah it should work fine, it is not to small to be sucked up

Many shrimp tanks
Finnex Pimp #8
post #42 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Just so no one gets too excited, mordalpus is right. This is just a "fancier" version of Mr. Aqua rolled in montmorillonite clay. I've been using it for almost four months in a few different setups and think $20 for a bag of it would be better spent on 2-3 Mr. Aqua or a couple bags of Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Even a $25 bag of Azoo Plant Grower Bed seems like a better buy.

It's cheap and easy to give your shrimp montmorillonite via the foods you're using or a mineral rock. Better bang for your buck.

P.S. on edit: I still like this stuff. It looks great in all the applications in which I'm using it.
post #43 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 04:05 PM
The Security Dude

This buffers my water way lower than fss did. I am now at 5.8 day 5. Fss gets me to 6.4-6.6 Plus this stuff looks really good and is a lot more pourse (sp) than fss

Many shrimp tanks
Finnex Pimp #8
post #44 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Just so no one gets too excited, mordalpus is right. This is just a "fancier" version of Mr. Aqua rolled in montmorillonite clay. I've been using it for almost four months in a few different setups and think $20 for a bag of it would be better spent on 2-3 Mr. Aqua or a couple bags of Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Even a $25 bag of Azoo Plant Grower Bed seems like a better buy.

It's cheap and easy to give your shrimp montmorillonite via the foods you're using or a mineral rock. Better bang for your buck.

P.S. on edit: I still like this stuff. It looks great in all the applications in which I'm using it.

Actually, its not. They are made in completely different factories with completely different formulas. Pound for pound shrimp sand is far more dense due do to its ratio of clay to ash. Fluval,Mr.Aqua are all 100% ash based. They are much lighter, and not nearly as dense grain for grain. Same go's for Azoo. All of which we have had in hand and tested ourselves. These are only a fraction of the soils we have come into contact with throughout 10 years of experience with soil substrates. Ash based soils are light in nature, very soft and porous.

I can not same the same for ContoSoil,Nature Soil,Fluval,Mr.Aqua,Columbo,Brightwell Aquatic, and several others that are all made in the same factory.

Contro-Soil Makes almost every Ash based soil in the market.

post #45 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

They may be made in different factories but my overall point is that these are unbelievably similar soils. And they are. I use both of themů and everything else imaginable.

The issue I have with the product is what you mention - its density. Meaning I'm typically paying more for it than I am alternatives that are lighter in weight. Either up front or with shipping costs.

It is a fancier version of Mr. Aqua and the other soils, as I said. Fancier, as in containing more clay and being rolled in/processed with cheap montmorillonite. There may also be a bit of montmorillonite inside the soil, as well, but that's less apparent.

It's good stuff and I use it (I'll likely even buy more of it from GLA in the future) but it is my opinion that it's overpriced on the market and that there are better alternatives. At least when it comes to diehard shrimp keeping and the benefits soils provide specifically for shrimp.

UP Aqua is definitely a cut above some of the others when it comes to plants, however.

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Leaf Aquariums View Post
Actually, its not. They are made in completely different factories with completely different formulas. Pound for pound shrimp sand is far more dense due do to its ratio of clay to ash. Fluval,Mr.Aqua are all 100% ash based. They are much lighter, and not nearly as dense grain for grain. Same go's for Azoo. All of which we have had in hand and tested ourselves. These are only a fraction of the soils we have come into contact with throughout 10 years of experience with soil substrates. Ash based soils are light in nature, very soft and porous.

I can not same the same for ContoSoil,Nature Soil,Fluval,Mr.Aqua,Columbo,Brightwell Aquatic, and several others that are all made in the same factory.

Contro-Soil Makes almost every Ash based soil in the market.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode