Hawaiian Red Shrimp Issues and Breeding - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good to hear, I've been keeping mine @ 1.01-1.012. Had some sporadic die offs because my tank crashed when I increased the salinity (used freshwater bacteria, newbie mistake). Have since read that bacteria cycled @ 1.01 is the most tolerant to salinity shifts.

I got mine from manini here on the forums for $0.50 each. Sent me ~62 shrimp for $25+shipping They're incredibly tiny, should have ordered more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Planted Member

Yes, it was Ocean Rider.
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just wanted to post that I've got zoeas! There are at least 4 of them, quite probably more. I'm surprised by their size, compared to microcrabs, ghost shrimp, and amano shrimp, these zoeas are huge, perhaps 3 mm in size with heads that are 1mm across. I knew to expect relatively developed larvae because of the egg size, but this was a surprise. I actually thought that the first zoea that I saw was a fragment of a dead adult shrimp, since it was so red and bulky.
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Great news!
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Of the 6 zoeas I found, at least 3 survived to transform. They really really like to hide, so it's difficult to tell whether I'm seeing the same 3 shrimp or if they all 6 lived and I only see 3 at once. They are now, roughly 2.5 months later, approaching adult size and doing well. I've got another berried and she should be hatching out relatively soon. If the size of her brood is any evidence, it ought to be quite a few more than 6 zoeas.

The main reason I'm on here right now is an odd reaction that they've just had. I occasionally try feeding them small amounts of various foods, usually spirulina, but occasionally something like pulverized turnip greens or the like. Very rarely I'll give them something with a reasonable amount of protein, but they almost always ignore it (crushed fish flakes, for instance.)

Tonight I decided to try a couple of sinking fish pellets on them and the results were pretty amazing. I smashed two New Life Spectrum pellets and dropped them into the tank. The shrimp are now going insane, dancing everywhere, though they are completely disinterested in the food. Assuming they don't all die tonight or something like that, I'll try again in a couple of weeks and see if the reaction is due to the pellets or another factor. I'm very wary of post hoc reasoning, but I've not seen them this animated except immediately after a very stressful event. Additionally, I'm going to watch for berried shrimp, as that is something that is generally expected after an event like this. If I get several berried shrimp in the next few days, I'd consider that to be relatively good evidence for these pellets acting in the way that breeding drops are generally intended.

Any worthwhile conclusions would require multiple testing events, of course.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Congrats with the zoea surviving! Hopefully you can perfect the method and survival rate to help the species.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

There wasn't much to it, honestly. Once the shrimp finally berried it became more or less as automatic as any other shrimp. I fed spirulina a few times while the babies were still larval, but I don't know whether they ever actually ate any of it.

My ultimate goal is to have a colony of thousands in a very large tank, but at their current rate of reproduction the population will double once every couple of years, so they'll finally be dying of old age by the time my plan comes to fruition. If they ever really get going breeding that might change, of course, but they're known to be slow, slow, slow in nearly every regard, so I'll keep my hopes reasonable.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
There wasn't much to it, honestly. Once the shrimp finally berried it became more or less as automatic as any other shrimp. I fed spirulina a few times while the babies were still larval, but I don't know whether they ever actually ate any of it.

My ultimate goal is to have a colony of thousands in a very large tank, but at their current rate of reproduction the population will double once every couple of years, so they'll finally be dying of old age by the time my plan comes to fruition. If they ever really get going breeding that might change, of course, but they're known to be slow, slow, slow in nearly every regard, so I'll keep my hopes reasonable.

I thought they lived like 20 years though?

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

So would you say that the key was to have an established tank with a lot of microfauna/algae/etc. so that you didn't have to target feed them as much and destroy the water quality?
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I never fed them much or destroyed the water quality, just a tiny amount of spirulina and/or flake food once every other week. Even if they ate none of it and it all decomposed, it was far less than what would be required to overwhelm the algae/filter's ability to clear. I still don't know why they started dying on me, to tell the truth. I suspect that the major factor that caused them to start breeding was that I scrubbed out their tank and then reset everything and just left it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I thought they lived like 20 years though?
Yep. I've got something like 35 shrimp left, and if they double every two years, in 20 years I'll have 36,000-ish of them. Should be enough to populate my gigantic aquarium.
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Of the 6 zoeas I found, at least 3 survived to transform. They really really like to hide, so it's difficult to tell whether I'm seeing the same 3 shrimp or if they all 6 lived and I only see 3 at once. They are now, roughly 2.5 months later, approaching adult size and doing well. I've got another berried and she should be hatching out relatively soon. If the size of her brood is any evidence, it ought to be quite a few more than 6 zoeas.

The main reason I'm on here right now is an odd reaction that they've just had. I occasionally try feeding them small amounts of various foods, usually spirulina, but occasionally something like pulverized turnip greens or the like. Very rarely I'll give them something with a reasonable amount of protein, but they almost always ignore it (crushed fish flakes, for instance.)

Tonight I decided to try a couple of sinking fish pellets on them and the results were pretty amazing. I smashed two New Life Spectrum pellets and dropped them into the tank. The shrimp are now going insane, dancing everywhere, though they are completely disinterested in the food. Assuming they don't all die tonight or something like that, I'll try again in a couple of weeks and see if the reaction is due to the pellets or another factor. I'm very wary of post hoc reasoning, but I've not seen them this animated except immediately after a very stressful event. Additionally, I'm going to watch for berried shrimp, as that is something that is generally expected after an event like this. If I get several berried shrimp in the next few days, I'd consider that to be relatively good evidence for these pellets acting in the way that breeding drops are generally intended.

Any worthwhile conclusions would require multiple testing events, of course.
Did you try the pellets again? What happened if so?
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Planted Member

Have you ever tried acclimating them to freshwater (not for breeding)?
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi Kameon View Post
+1

also i totally want to setup a small tank with these some day...

DBP Club

I ride motorcycles.
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Did you try the pellets again? What happened if so?
I have not yet tried the pellets again. The first time I tried I saw 2 molts in the tank the following day and 4 days after there was 1 additional berried shrimp. I wouldn't consider that to be anything out of the ordinary compared to their normal state of affairs. I've got a bunch (well, 10 of them anyway) of zoeas in there now from another female that was already pregnant, so I'm trying to avoid stressing them out prior to their transformation.

I'll give it another shot once the zoeas have transformed. Again, I'm very wary of poor thought processes with things like this, and it's very easy to fall prey to confirmation bias (only noticing events that support a hypothesis) and post hoc reasoning (Event B followed Event A, therefore Event B occurred because of Event A.)

Quote:
Yep, it's pretty easy, just plop them into fresh water and they live. There's no need for acclimating them, at least in my experience. [Note: Koi later tried transferring his to freshwater and his died. I don't know what the difference was.]

Last edited by jasonpatterson; 07-07-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: changed to note Koi's experience
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yep, it's pretty easy, just plop them into fresh water and they live. There's no need for acclimating them, at least in my experience.
Yeah lol... they won't breed or anything but survive perfectly fine. I've seen several LFS keep them in freshwater set ups as well.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode