Hawaiian Red Shrimp Issues and Breeding - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I pulled out all but 3 lava rocks today, fairly small chunks, and added some sand. I haven't seen much of the shrimp in the tank lately due to the large amount of space they had to hide in, so it was nice to get a head count, of sorts, and confirm that the majority are indeed still alive. They can hide behind the sponge filter still if they really need a place to be completely hidden, as well as around the stones.

My amano zoeas are doing insanely well in that tank. It's frustrating because I've spent $50-100 setting up a system where they could develop and have access to phytoplankton and all the rest, but have only had 1 completely successful shrimp. In this tank I threw about 20 in and gave them no support whatsoever. I now have at least 4 that are nearly ready to transform into adults and another 6-10 that are promising. Unless there is a major dieoff, that's a 25-75% success rate versus a 0.25% success rate with the others. This tank will never be able to support hundreds of zoeas at a time, but I don't really want hundreds of amano shrimp, so that's just peachy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Planted Member

Whatever happened with the HRS?

Did the die off stabilize? Did you figure it out?

We seem to be crossing paths on HRS and Thai micro crabs a lot recently.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is this a brackish species? I have never heard of it so I cant say too much but I can say that you've got it in full saltwater ranges. If they are brackish I would lower your salinity/sg greatly. If saltwater, I'd raise it and check to see if your calcium and alkalinity are at the right place. I would also add to their diet. Throw them in some brine or mysis shrimp every once in awhile.

Raok Club #43

20 Gallon Shrimp

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampster5000 View Post
Is this a brackish species? I have never heard of it so I cant say too much but I can say that you've got it in full saltwater ranges. If they are brackish I would lower your salinity/sg greatly. If saltwater, I'd raise it and check to see if your calcium and alkalinity are at the right place. I would also add to their diet. Throw them in some brine or mysis shrimp every once in awhile.
The Opae Ula can survive in a huge range of parameters but will only breed in a brackish environment. But generally they can live through anything, even without filtration.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Planted Member

What if it was just an unidentified disease spike?

I was thinking about this--that's why I asked for an update. You said you'd had them about 6 mos. I assume you bought them from the same stock. What if it had nothing to do with you? What if a few of them had something and like most epidemics, it just kind of simmered for a while before it hit flash point, killed all the vulnerable ones to it, and now is dormant/gone because the shrimp left are resistant?

They know so little about shrimp diseases and the fact that you'd had them only 6 mos. and can't find anything you may have done/problem with the tank makes me wonder about this...seriously. I'd just bought "Back to Nature Guide to Nano Aquaria" by K. Fohrman et al. and they focus a bit on freshwater shrimp (nothing brackish unfortunately-crabs or shrimp, treat nerites like freshwater) and mention several diseases the freshwater shrimp can show up with and it got me wondering...So, if the problem seems to have gone away, that is my guess as to what happened. If you'd had them two years or something then I wouldn't be suggesting it. Here's what the book mentions about bacterial diseases "Sometimes a couple of shrimps die every day for a few days or even weeks..." None of the diseases mentioned end well.
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's hard telling what was happening, but it seems to have stopped. Since I redid their tank I have had one shrimp death, and it looked like a molting problem. Still no breeding.

Sampster, they can survive in anything from freshwater to brine, basically, but supposedly breed best in 1.012 or so. Their pools in nature vary greatly as well and they breed successfully in all sorts of salinities (though not entirely fresh water.) A number of people reported success with getting their colonies started breeding by increasing the salinity from 1.012 to 1.019 or so, so I gave it a try. It didn't work, so I gradually brought the salinity back down to 1.012 and am just going to wait them out.

They're still molting and pooping like mad, so things can't be too far out of whack in there.
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I finally have a berried shrimp! It was hard to see, but there is one in the tank now. When I bought my first batch, I had one shrimp arrive berried, but she dropped her eggs. This shrimp has much smaller eggs than that one had had, but they are eggs nonetheless. Equally important to me is that it is one of the palest shrimp in the tank that is berried (though not one of the completely white individuals.) It's very easy to come by the red morph shrimp, but the white morph seems to be a tougher thing to find; I'm happy to have her be the first to berry.

I've been making no particular effort to stabilize salinity, and I add water every once in a while when I notice that the level is getting lower through evaporation (along with knocking the salt creep back into the tank.)

I had been adding amano zoeas to the tank so that they could develop, and that was working fairly well (relatively speaking) but I quit doing that about 3 weeks ago since I want the zooplankton in the tank to grow well for the red shrimp zoeas. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see how they do in the coming months.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Planted Member

Congratulations! Especially since it's a pale one. I've got one that is close to opalescent. They are so neat. You've been doing everything right for so long. Glad this finally happened. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Koi Kameon; 03-14-2012 at 11:48 PM.
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Awesome news.

I am, as always, living vicariously through your experiments.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Algae Grower

Can I put these shrimps into my reef tank?
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfsUP View Post
Can I put these shrimps into my reef tank?
People used to use them for 'feeder shrimp' for reef fish.

An actual reef tank might be too far out on the parameters though. Be interesting to find out.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
People used to use them for 'feeder shrimp' for reef fish.

An actual reef tank might be too far out on the parameters though. Be interesting to find out.
I was just wondering if it were possible to keep them alive and happy in my 30g reef. I never really check the water but wanted something that would help keep the algae under control. Strange cause on the reef forums the Hawaiian red shrimps are not discussed.

Now I just gotta find someone that still has these available for sale. Hmm maybe I might get my relatives from Hawaii to ship me some?
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I know that a lot of people keep them in full salt water, so as long as you don't have anything predatory in there, I don't see why it would be a problem. They aren't going to keep your algae under control unless you've got hundreds though. These guys are tiny, and they really don't eat much. They just graze on the existing algae and it grows and grows and grows. I've got to scrape down the front glass of my tank every month or so because it's getting coated. I'm using 2x13W CFLs for a 10g tank. Mostly they're just pretty little red shrimp.

That said, they will be more than happy to live in your tank. I don't know how long it will take them to breed, but they should do that as well, eventually, at least in theory. They're capable of living in all kinds of crazy conditions, so a standard saltwater tank is a cozy place.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Planted Member

I agree with Jason. As long as you appreciate pretty little red shrimp that are as tough as nails and don't expect algae miracles...and if you have enough of them they should breed "in theory." They are great. You don't have to get them in HI. Google them. Many places in continental sell them too. One guy in HI sells them by lots of 25 for sea horses. Can't remember his name. I honestly don't understand why more people don't keep them. Is it bc they are so small? They're afraid of mixing the Instant Ocean??
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The only reason I wouldn't keep them is the brackish breeding conditions. I really wish that there were other brackish shrimp that they could mix with easily so that the tank had a bit more variety. I'm hoping that their breeding is successful and that eventually it's swarming with them.

Ocean Rider sells them for $2 each for seahorse food, dunno if that's what you're thinking of. If it is, I'd go with Hawaii Opae Ula Farm, they do $1 each minimum order 50.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode