Shrimp and water flow (current) in the tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Shrimp and water flow (current) in the tank?

Hi all sorry for the newbie question but new to the freshwater shrimp thing and cant seem to find much about water flow (current) in the tank and how it effects the shrimp or if there is any effect at all. I am useing Fluval C-3 HoB filters in 20 gallon longs and I have the water intake cut back as low as it will go and the current is going from the back of the tank to the front of the tank, just got my very first batch of CBS (4 came berried) they dont seem to mind the current and there are plenty of places for them to get out of it but my main concern is for the newborn shrimp (if I get lucky and the 4 berried carry to full term) and how bad is it going to effect them? Any input would be great.

P.S> Yes I am (hopefully) a nervous new expecting shrimp daddy lol
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru
They don't go near the top of the tank, they are bottom dwellers so its not a big deal really if there is current near the top. Mine just swim through it if its there anyways and don't seem to care or just avoid it.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru
sponge on the filter intake is the most important part imo. shrimp will be fine in low-medium current. i dont think there are any high current shrimp tanks out here.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
I am useing Fluval prefilter sponges on the intake
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I have a sunsun302 with the spray bar on my 20 long with nothing holding the flow back but a pantyhose over the stock intake strainer.. Spraybar is under the water though and all the shrimp/shrimplets(PFR's/TT's/TB's/Crystals) are fine. If you have floating plants they do like to hang onto them upside down.. There's also a AC20 and an AC30 on here and ya, totally fine with the flow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode