TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) & It's importance in Shrimp Rearing - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

Looks like this stuff needs calibration liquid, similar to drop checkers almost? Could one use table salt w.o iodine to calibrate then?

ohbaby714, how did you calibrate yours?

`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
Looks like this stuff needs calibration liquid, similar to drop checkers almost? Could one use table salt w.o iodine to calibrate then?

ohbaby714, how did you calibrate yours?
I had never calibrate mine yet. It came calibrated, but i'm sure it not perfect. Anyway, i use rain water and it measure 5-10ppm. That's usually better than my ro machine can make. I figure in about 6 month or so, i'll get some NaCl and calibrate it.
post #33 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
http://www.csgnetwork.com/directhwppmcvt.html

KH and GH are measured in same numbers, 1dgh is 17ppm of either one.

Note: calc is little bit wrong, am sure you will find out when you use it, other than that it work fine.
I might be wrong, but I think it's 17.9 instead of just 17.
post #34 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:35 AM
These pants? are fancy.

You don't need to calibrate most of these meters. I've been using one for 6 months and it's still spot on with no calibration.

At this rate I would be satisfied if I burned through one every few months, however the ones I have keep on tickin.

It's up to you, these are so easy to use it's ridiculous, you just turn it on, dip it in the water, and it shows you within a millisecond what the TDS of your water is. Those strips are so inaccurate that they only show to the nearest 50, 70, 50, 80, 175 AND you have to use your eyeballs to judge which shade of BROWN it is... how ridiculous is that. With these, you can test every day 5 times a day for 6 months and it tells you in exact parts per million what your TDS is.

At the very least, get an API liquid GH and KH test kit. They're more useful than a TDS meter, but expire faster and are more difficult to use, but they tell you your GH and KH.
I use mine in conjunction with my TDS meter to figure out how much extra "junk" is in my water. IE. if my GH is 5 and my kh is 0, i know i have roughly 90 ppm of hardness, the rest of the ppm is nitrates, other minerals (such as aluminum, selenium, zinc, etc since I have a mineral stone), and other biproducts from plants and animals. So I know that with my mineral rocks and my GH of 5, my "clean" water is a TDS of 180, when it gets to 200, I know I have enough nitrates and other gunk in the water that I need a water change, which will lower it back down to 180 TDS.

It's not a massive advantage for the hobby shrimpkeeper, but it lets me know at a glance how clean my water is and roughly how hard my water is.

Also, if you're using ANY tap water in your tank, it'll tell you exactly how clean your tap water is (which for most folks is downright disgusting 350 ppm of TDS is average).
post #35 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I might be wrong, but I think it's 17.9 instead of just 17.
you are correct, but i did not bother writing that extra .9
post #36 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What I find hard about the API test kits is that it says when it turns blue to yellow or red to green. Sometimes I get green or yellow after the first few drops but at a very light color. No blue or red...

Liam, you just made me wanna get one of those meters...
post #37 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 AM
These pants? are fancy.

lol, well that wasn't my intention, but if you want one, there are really cheap ones from hong kong on [Ebay Link Removed] I have a bunch I bought earlier this year in february, but they wouldn't be as cheap as the ones straight from hong kong.
post #38 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Haha nothing here is as cheap when it's straight from Asia.... :p
And from what I've read, a good TDS is 150-180? CRS that is.
post #39 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 AM
These pants? are fancy.

yeah, 150-200 is good. adjust your water to 5 GH, 0-1KH, then take a reading. If you have a mineral stone in your tank, it'll raise the TDS by another amount, but wont raise the GH or KH any. That is my baseline. For new water during water changes, I add mosura mineral plus til it hits 150 TDS, then put it in my tank. Once it's in my tank, my mineral rocks add about 30 TDS, so it reaches 180 in a tank of clean water. once it raises to 200-220, I do a water change and it will drop back down to 180.
post #40 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
What I find hard about the API test kits is that it says when it turns blue to yellow or red to green. Sometimes I get green or yellow after the first few drops but at a very light color. No blue or red...
I found it very difficult to detect the API GH color change. Much easier with Nutrafin.
post #41 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok I think I'll PM you since its getting off topic
post #42 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
bsk
Planted Member

I just picked one up and found out my 60p is 460 ppm wow! I'm surprised my shrimp crs are still alive. I was so shocked I just ordered an RO unit. My tap is running about 260 ppm. that cheap $20 tds meter was the best thing I've bought for my little shrimpys.
post #43 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 PM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsk View Post
I just picked one up and found out my 60p is 460 ppm wow! I'm surprised my shrimp crs are still alive. I was so shocked I just ordered an RO unit. My tap is running about 260 ppm. that cheap $20 tds meter was the best thing I've bought for my little shrimpys.
Yeah I love mine for nothing else other then peace of mind. I also dont check GH/KH as often. Luckily last time I checked my tap water is about 180TDS. But I live in NC which is very swampy so its natrually acidic and low tds.

Shrimptopia
Shrimp Town (20G)
(3G) Shrimpsville
Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #44 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

does TDS really matter? if you do water changes with 50%- 50% RO/tap monthly, and shrimp are alive and breeding.
post #45 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny313 View Post
does TDS really matter? if you do water changes with 50%- 50% RO/tap monthly, and shrimp are alive and breeding.

It depends. If that TDS reading is something negitive in your tank like copper or what have you then yes it matters. If its just high GH/KH then it depends on what youre keeping. I know my GH out of tap is 4GH. My KH is 1-2. According to that I think my TDS should be around 90 or so if my water was pure. But its a TDS of 180ish so that tells me there is other trace elements or whatever.

Like anything else its just a tool. To properly use a tool you need knowledge and expirence.

Shrimptopia
Shrimp Town (20G)
(3G) Shrimpsville
Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.

Tags
tds tester, testing kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode