Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PA/MD/DE tristate area
IN OTHER NEWS:
Being the geek-o-dweeb that I yam, I decided this morning that it's time to push for optimization of the system, now that I have it dialed in. I'm doing a minor re-engineering of the system to match the spare parts of our household water treatment system, so if there is a problem, the spare parts will be the same between the two systems, since the two systems are based on the same basic hardware. This will entail changing some of the injection pump parameters and re-calibration of the injections, but should not be too difficult of a transition.
Yesterday, I plumbed in unions to the piping output of the sumps. This way, in a pinch, I can disconnect the sumps in minutes - to get into the sump pits or replace a dead sump pump with - what else - my spare I keep around.
I already have duplication of systems in this regard in that I run two sumps and two basins, but they are on opposite sides of the room so if I had to use one for all in an emergency it would be a bit hairy to re-route the water over to the alternate pit. Easier by far to have a spare pit and pump, and the ability to change them out in a moment.
I also finally solved an annoying slow seepage of water onto my floor that had puzzled me for months. I was getting a capillary effect of water back along my drain pipe and out the sump basin, down to the floor. This was possible due to the surface tension properties of water, and the very slight slope of my drain pipe. So I put in an elbow at the end of the line, and problem was solved. Whew, that was a head banger, for a long while.
I might have identified the issue sooner had I been able to see it sooner, but it was only yesterday that I was able to SEE it as I cut loose the sump pipes to install the unions, which enabled me to see the physics of the problem. I had to make a SECOND trip back to Lowes for the elbow, but at least it solved that annoying problem! I was all set to replace what I thought was a sump basin with a hairline crack when I realized what was happening, and so gratefully did not need to replace the sump basin.
Over this weekend, I will also plumb in unions on either side of my master valve, so in a pinch I can whip that baby out and clean it or replace it, without having to do actual plumbing.
"...we the people, in order to form a more perfect union..." - oh, wait, I digress. Squirrel-alert!
Who knew that years of playing Lego would come in so handy, eventually...