Speeding up breeding process... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Speeding up breeding process...

I've been breeding and selling CRS. Problem is I can't produce enough to fill the demand in my local area...

What can I do to speed up the breeding process?

20 gallon planted tank, ph is neutral, temp 72F, eheim 2213 and HOB rated for 30g for filtration, 48w lighting set for 8hrs a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Buy more and use more tanks. Do water changes.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 PM
These pants? are fancy.

get more tanks with more shrimp in them
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For guppies, some pro breeders crank up temperature to 82F; because it accelerates metabolism, growth, etc. Probably works with shrimp too, but I don't know what max acceptable temperature is for them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
For guppies, some pro breeders crank up temperature to 82F; because it accelerates metabolism, growth, etc. Probably works with shrimp too, but I don't know what max acceptable temperature is for them.
That also shortens the lives of the guppies.
Stan Shubel talks about it in his books.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
That also shortens the lives of the guppies.
Stan Shubel talks about it in his books.
True. But if you look at the bigger picture, it's also irrelevant.

Take two sets of fry, which are sold when they reach a certain size.

One set is raised at normal temperature, and takes six months to reach salable size.

Another set is raised at elevated temperature, and grow to the same size in only three months. Biologically, the fish are six months old even though only three months have passed in real time.

Does this make any difference to the buyer? No. Both sets are the same size and biological age. And they will both have the same lifespan in the buyer's tank.

But it does benefit the seller, because they're able to produce twice as many salable fish.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to soundgy
Dark,

I'm not correcting you, but asking a question? Does this mean that the higher temperature won't shorten the overall lifespan of the fish more than just a few months on the seller side? Yyou stated 6 months growout + lifespan in tank = life of fish in normal temps, and 3 months growout in increased water temp + lifespan in normal temp tank = same lifespan. My question is are you sure the lifespans in the consumer side are still the same or are they even shorter due to growing up in high temp water? If this is confusing let me know and I will try and rephrase it.

Thanks,
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would lower the ph slightly, not sure that will help. babies take time to grow, so maybe you need some more breeders. I keep my lights on 11 to 12hrs a day.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgy View Post
I'm not correcting you, but asking a question? Does this mean that the higher temperature won't shorten the overall lifespan of the fish more than just a few months on the seller side? Yyou stated 6 months growout + lifespan in tank = life of fish in normal temps, and 3 months growout in increased water temp + lifespan in normal temp tank = same lifespan. My question is are you sure the lifespans in the consumer side are still the same or are they even shorter due to growing up in high temp water? If this is confusing let me know and I will try and rephrase it.
In short, you're wondering if the relationship between growth and aging is non-linear; for example, if double growth rate might equal more than double aging rate. Or if once temperature is reduced, there is a continuing effect on fish aging as a result of earlier conditions that no longer exist.

I've never heard anything stating this was an issue.

While I haven't read Shubel's book, I did read an interview with him. I recall his concern with reduced lifespan from elevated temperatures seemed to be only with mature male guppies picked for breeding.

That makes sense. If you have a prized male who you want to breed as many times as possible, keeping him at elevated temperatures will shorten his lifespan without benefit.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Maintain your tank at 75-76 F, feed higher protein foods, lower your pH, extend your photoperiod, and start using mosura eros.

Of course having another tank would help, especially for growing out juveniles.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Shrimp breeders do this as well. It's interesting that you draw a parallel to guppies, as one of the most renowned crs breeders, Mr. Yeh of Taiwan/China, was formerly a professional guppy breeder.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to theemon Send a message via Yahoo to theemon
you need to keep more adults. more adult breeders= more babbies
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 PM
These pants? are fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
Shrimp breeders do this as well. It's interesting that you draw a parallel to guppies, as one of the most renowned crs breeders, Mr. Yeh of Taiwan/China, was formerly a professional guppy breeder.
I don't think many shrimp breeders turn the heat up on their tanks... My shrimp slow down breeding above 75f, and start having molting problems and stop breeding entirely above 78f.

And if you feed high protein food too often, you will run into lots of problems.

My shrimp breed the best when the water is steady at 73f, and they get frozen brine shrimp, blood worms or daphnia once per week, and veggie-based foods the rest of the time.

This keeps my females berried constantly, with very little down time between pregnancies.

-liam
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I don't think many shrimp breeders turn the heat up on their tanks... My shrimp slow down breeding above 75f, and start having molting problems and stop breeding entirely above 78f.
I think we should always remember which shrimp we are talkign about. MY RCS, yellow and snows do just fine at 78 degrees. CRS do NOT.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 PM
These pants? are fancy.

ahh, yeah, I figured the OP said he was breeding and selling CRS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode