The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA amazonia substrate ok for neos?

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Roshan8768 
#1 ·
Hi all
I got 20lbs ADA amazonia very cheap, I'm thinking about switching my substrate, I'm using right now regular neutral large size gravel (which is horrible), my tank is basically neos tank, cherrys, fire red. Is it a good idea to use ada amazonia for neos? PH will be constantly more acidic and all parameters more towards caridinia, but on the other hand i could finally house some caridinia species too, I really need to change my current substrate and now i have a chance to do it. What's Your opinion?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Agreed, you are better off setting up a new tank. If you want to keep Neos in that tank, then transfer juvenile shrimp into the tank, but not adults. That way, the babies will be able to acclimate to the different parameters better and you may be able to set up a separate colony of Neos. Add in Bee shrimp for variety!

If you *REALLY* want to switch out the substrate rather than setting up a new tank, then you need to cycle the soil in a bucket or something until it stops leaching ammonia before switching the soils.

Do you have a good source of RO water and a remineralizer ready for the ADA soil?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I do have an extra 10 gal tank on hand, empty, i could use it as temporary, with all media, and water from old tank, then I could cycle my main tank with amazonia, still not sure though if these parameters would be ok for cherries, i think i have to choose neos or caridinia

Aquasoil leaches *a lot* of ammonia so I think it'll be tricky to switch your substrate with shrimp still in the tank. That's the main problem I see. The other is that the sudden drop in pH and KH might stress and/or kill your shrimp.

As for just keeping neos on Aquasoil/in caridina parameters, generally they'll survive but they might not breed like they used to (or they might, mileage varies). Usually you aren't going to have big breeding populations of neos and caridina in the same tank. If you can swing it, I think I'd personally probably use the Amazonia in a new tank, and switch the gravel out to sand or something.

If you can't or don't want to do that, I really don't know about switching to Aquasoil with critters in the tank due to the ammonia leaching and sudden parameter changes... You might search to see if/how other people have done it?
If i' d choose only neos, which substrate will be best? I need substrate good for plants too,

#6 ·
I'd choose an inert substrate for neos, sand is nice, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with inert gravel, either. You don't need the expensive "plant substrates" to have a healthy planted tank; with good light and fertilization (and possibly CO2, depending on what you're trying to keep/what kind of growth you want), you'll be set.

#7 ·
When i changed gravel to ada aquasoil it was a disaster and since reverting back to gravel no more fatalities of my crs, regular molting again and my remaining girls are berried again. I changed to the soil thinking i needed it for plants but to be honest all of my plants are growing very healthily with just the gravel.

#8 ·
Switch to an inert sand if you don't like your current substrate... I suggest pool filter sand or black diamond blasting sand, I use both with root tabs and it grows plants exceptionally well. Set up the new tank with the aquasoil, cycle and try some variety of cardinia. Once you have them happy and stable, you can source some neos that are kept in lower TDS from the the for sale forum I have received yellows and blue pearls that were acclimated to and breeding in 200 TDS water for generations. Of course, IMO the cardinias would look great in there by themselves haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.