• 2 Post By Zoidburg
  • 1 Post By natemcnutty
  • 1 Post By clownplanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

HELP! 6 month shrimp tank of slow deaths

Hello everyone!

What am I doing wrong!?!? This is my second shrimp tank and it is not doing so well. I wanted to advance on up to from neos to caridina shrimp because they look so unique. So I've set up this tank for half a year now and it has been frustrating me for the last few months. Originally I thought my tank was cycling for the first 3 months but now I have given up on the diagnostics. There is hardly any movement around the tank, as the shrimp and my snail just seem like they have no energy..

I've gone through 3 batches of shrimp so far and the same thing keeps occurring. I have been noticing 1-2 shrimp deaths every week or so and I can not pin point what is causing them. Perhaps molting issues as I do see many shells on the first few weeks of putting them in my tank? My parameters don't seem to be off for this species but why aren't they staying alive for me..
There has been a weird moss or algae that have been growing on everything and I am unsure of how to get rid of them without scraping it off my driftwood, almond leaf, alder cones, or walls. It used to look like a white jelly/spiderweb substance on the surface but now it's has changed forms in something brownish. Please help guys as I slowly bleed out!

I'm scared to do water changes because this seems to cause deaths at a much faster rate..

So here is my set up

10G Dennerle
Substrate: ADA Africana Soil
Lighting: Finnex Planted +
RO/DI water from local water store
Remineralizer: MK-BREED Blue Diamond
Fauna: CBS, BKK, BKK mischlings, horned nerite snail

Parameters
PH: 6.4 - 6.6
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
TDS: 170 ppm
GH: 8-9
KH: 0-1
Temp: 73 - 75

Food: Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, Snowflakes, Ken Calcium Sticks

Flame moss and mini xmas moss is slowly thriving without a problem for me but the floaters aren't doing well. The roots aren't developing and the leaves keep melting away so the growth is so minimal.

I have attached some photos so you guys can see what this weird development is on my wood and walls... Sorry the tank shot got uploaded upside down for some reason..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	765217  

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	765225  

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	765241  

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	765249  

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	765257  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Readings can't be right. do the nitrate test again and this time shake and bang the hell out of the second reagent for 1-2 min. I mean like your lifes depending on it... bang it against the table in between shaking till your arm goes numb.... I cannot stress this enough. Then let us know the results.

Dan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree with Dan that you probably have higher nitrates than you think (and I'm pretty sure we've all had that test fail is at one point or another).

Your primary issue is there 8 dGH - too hard for CBS et al. Slowly lower that down to the 4-5 dGH range. Much over 6 dGH, and my CRS get stuck in their shell and fail to molt. Have you seen them doing the death flip kick?

I can't find what Blue Diamonds calcium content is for each dGH, but generally 4-5 dGH is a good target. If using something like Tom Barr's GH booster recipe, I'll go closer to 5-6 dGH.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dman911 and clownplanted like this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I agree with Dan that you probably have higher nitrates than you think (and I'm pretty sure we've all had that test fail is at one point or another).

Your primary issue is there 8 dGH - too hard for CBS et al. Slowly lower that down to the 4-5 dGH range. Much over 6 dGH, and my CRS get stuck in their shell and fail to molt. Have you seen them doing the death flip kick?

I can't find what Blue Diamonds calcium content is for each dGH, but generally 4-5 dGH is a good target. If using something like Tom Barr's GH booster recipe, I'll go closer to 5-6 dGH.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I realized my GH might be too high so I will be adjusting the water and try to lower my GH by doing a small water change. Also what does the death flip kick look like? I have found many dead upside down on their backs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Readings can't be right. do the nitrate test again and this time shake and bang the hell out of the second reagent for 1-2 min. I mean like your lifes depending on it... bang it against the table in between shaking till your arm goes numb.... I cannot stress this enough. Then let us know the results.

Dan
I read that many people have that problem with Nitrate test, but I think mine might be broken because I always hit the solution against the table and shake it until I'm out of breath... I just did a retest and the results came out to be the same for all my tanks so I'm sure that I will need a new Nitrate test kit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchao View Post
Bump:

I realized my GH might be too high so I will be adjusting the water and try to lower my GH by doing a small water change. Also what does the death flip kick look like? I have found many dead upside down on their backs...

I read that many people have that problem with Nitrate test, but I think mine might be broken because I always hit the solution against the table and shake it until I'm out of breath... I just did a retest and the results came out to be the same for all my tanks so I'm sure that I will need a new Nitrate test kit.
Yes if your getting 0 on everything I would say the test is no good. Possibly expired?

Dan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

It is possible to have 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, but not recommended... especially if the tank has plants. You want to be seeing some nitrates.
harley and clownplanted like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess my question is how should I get rid of all the algae or whatever it is that is growing? I am slowly changing out the water and hopefully that will make some sort of difference?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I guess my question is how should I get rid of all the algae or whatever it is that is growing? I am slowly changing out the water and hopefully that will make some sort of difference?
You need to manually clean things up and then feed your plants. Don't be afraid of using fertilizers - just start small and see how things go. Healthy plants are the best defense to algae, and as a bonus, they keep the water clean and are pleasing to look at
clownplanted likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As others have said it would be best to lower GH.

Make sure you don't have planaria or hydra. These insidious pests can slowly wipe out whole tanks of shrimp.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
More plants. Less light. Raise the light. Split the amount of hours the light is on into two, i.e. 3 hours on, 3 hours off, 3 hours on.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not to counter all the other good advice you're getting, but algae is shrimp food of the best type. I'm wondering if you are feeding more than the shrimp can consume and it's feeding the algae. Feeding shrimp is not at all like feeding fish. I'm finding I feed about 1/10th of what I feed my fish and I often times let them forage for a few days between feedings. My shrimp tanks are also home to some sizeable numbers of seed shrimp and some slender Daphnia, so I know there's a lot of food available to these detritus eaters.

You may be having higher NO3 than your test is showing. As Nate and Dan have suggested shake that second Nitrate test bottle within an inch of cramping your arm up.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
85 gallon stock tank, "pond"
5g low-tech Java Fern jungle.
2.5g +1.2g satellite stream-clay crypt and Fern tank.
20 GallonH Streamsoil dirt tank
Pendant-hooded, LED A19 bulb lighting.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

As others pointed out it's that nitrate bottle number two that is always the issue. I ran into this also and @Dman911 and others here told me what to do on second bottle and sure enough it worked. Get a second nitrate test kit. I find what works great is bang the two bottles caps together for a good 30 seconds banging pretty hard till you think they will break. Then shake hard each bottle for a good minute.

Also great advice from others here I have learned and still learning from them they are the shrimp pros. I just started a CRS tank and taking their advice so far so good with my shrimp. Knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also as already mentioned you need lots more plants for the shrimp. The more the better to fight algae and make the shrimp more comfortable. Get lots of low demanding plants and feet just a little and you will find it will help against the algae and make the shrimp happier. You really want to fill the tank up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dman911 likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-21-2017 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode