The Planted Tank Forum banner
2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  natemcnutty 
#1 ·
Got my hands on a new snail species. I have no name at all for them. I don't know there country of origin, but I can say they were found Wild in Central Texas (doesn't mean they are native to there)
They look sort of like apple snails but the shell is not right for them, and they definitely are not any sort of Ram's Horn. If anything their body is similar to that of a rabbit snail or trumpet snail, but the shell is completely different.
https://youtu.be/zCUl8jgCQUU there's a rather long video of when moving, it's about a quarter of an inch long.

Below is a photo of a separate one, I have another photo of it next to a ruler increments in millimeters.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think mine came from Moss I found outside I added them into my tank and they bred prolifically I didn't really do anything special for them I don't feed them I think they just eat the algae in my tank and detritus

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

I live in Tennessee also to help narrow it down

It's not a mystery snail their to small

#12 ·
The spiral is too short on this snail to be a valve snail. The ridge between the spirals in valve snails is a lot deeper and more pronounced than the specimens I have. Thanks for the suggestion though. Keep them coming :]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.