Shrimp dead within 30 min of being added to tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Unhappy Shrimp dead within 30 min of being added to tank

So I ordered home bred shrimp form a forum member here on TPT. They came today well and alive. I drip acclimated them for about an hour. I added them to the tank and left them with the lights off. I came back a little later and found one dead. I figured that this wasn't a big deal because I saw another swimming behind it. I removed it and left again. I came back later and found two dead. Decided to investigate further and found the remains of all 5 of the shrimp I ordered. I came back after removing them and found 0 ammonia 0 nitrites ph of 7.4-7.6 and a temp of 78 I didn't test my Gh or kh because they wouldn't kill the shrimp at the levels I had them at when I tested earlier( Gh 11 kh 12-13) I want to try again so a but don't know what went wrong, there was also no copper in the tank. Might go to my LFS tomorrow and see what they have to say and possibly purchase new ones if I can figure things out by then. I really need to solve this problem because it is very discouraging for a beginner to have to scoop out dead shrimp. If my next batch fails I might just not try again. So this is very important that I get it right this time. Not having a great time so far in the fishkeeping hobby.🦐
KGNickl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Guessing the drip acclimation?

Dan
post #3 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Why would that be the problem?

post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Your TDS may be through the roof... so could have been osmotic shock..

Was this a brand new tank or did it ever contain other inhabitants? Was copper ever used in the tank? Even before you set it up for shrimp?
post #5 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonnap View Post
Why would that be the problem?
Because of the ammonia toxicity from the change in PH when you drip acclimate. Just a thought not saying its the cause.

Dan
SubstrateSource and nel like this.
post #6 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

gH and kH are pretty high. Unless the breeder also does 78F I'd lower it closer to 72-74 to be safe. Contrary to popular belief dwarf shrimps do fine in room temperature.
Opare likes this.

10 Gallon Planted Shrimp Tank
Blue Diamond Neocaridina
Tangerine Tiger Caridina
post #7 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:13 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonnap View Post
🦐
Just want to share a short thought that may give you some hope for the next batch of shrimps and show they can be hardy. Recently ordered some shrimp myself and although I receive package after package of goodies from the USPS this particular Priority shrimp package was delayed and the shrimps were in transit for 6 days.

Thought for sure they would be dead and if they make it for sure they will have problems. Not the case at all. They appear happy and are mingling with tank mates for several days now. Would have never thought it would work out but apparently it did. Hope you get it worked out.

I should be reading the Fertilizers and Water Parameters forum
post #8 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe buy a tds pen and drip acclimatization till container water matches tank water with tds.
Corydoradaxplora likes this.
post #9 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Algae Grower

I would have to agree on osmotic shock. Are you still using ph down? Before adding more shrimp I would do a 90-100% water change to rid the water of any unneeded products that could be hanging around. Definitely a must to test the water they come in. If it is off by a ph of 1 or more and/or tds level is off by 50 or more, spend a few hours acclimating them. Some may think this ridiculous, but I have acclimated RCS for 8 hours before. Ph of the water they came in was more than 1 lower and TDS 225 more than mine. One even got the "band of death" and then molted right out, the molt separating at that very spot. Don't get too discouraged, just try to learn what you can and move on. I think a whole lot of people kill some, if not all of the first shrimp they keep. Also after adding them to the tank, if you have to add water again, drip it into the tank. This will allow them to continue acclimating well and they will molt normally. Remember, patience is key! You can do this!
post #10 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Because of the ammonia toxicity from the change in PH when you drip acclimate. Just a thought not saying its the cause.

Dan
I have to say, that I stopped doing drip acclimatization for fish and shrimp some time ago and it's better this way. Match the temperature by putting the bag into your tank, then just catch fish/shrimp with a net and toss them into the tank. No more drip acclimatization for me. Getting used to new parameters will take weeks, not hours, it doesn't really help so much doing drip, yet it can be really harmful with the ammonia (in the bag pH is dropping drastically making ammonia not harmful, when you add normal water - pH goes up, ammonia starts to harm fish/shrimp).

Ropefish playground
- 120x48x60 cm
Nano playground - 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm (working on it!)
post #11 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
I have to say, that I stopped doing drip acclimatization for fish and shrimp some time ago and it's better this way. Match the temperature by putting the bag into your tank, then just catch fish/shrimp with a net and toss them into the tank. No more drip acclimatization for me. Getting used to new parameters will take weeks, not hours, it doesn't really help so much doing drip, yet it can be really harmful with the ammonia (in the bag pH is dropping drastically making ammonia not harmful, when you add normal water - pH goes up, ammonia starts to harm fish/shrimp).
I would usually agree, but shrimp have a relatively low bio-load so I don't think ammonia would get super high. The other thing is that if your water parameters are significantly different to those they came from, osmotic shock is definitely something to be worried about and drip acclimation may be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zoidburg and Corydoradaxplora like this.
post #12 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Do you think it might be something undetectable, like an unexpected encounter with soapy hands? I do have to day I haven't tested my tds so that might be it but the water in the cup I was using tripled before I put them in, with three of them they acted dead in the cup then when I put them the tank they swam away. Might that have anything to do with it?
post #13 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Algae Grower

I think we need a bit more information to help. What type of shrimp neocaridina or caridina? Caridina have a higher learning curve when starting with them. If your LFS can test water I would take a sample to make sure your readings are inline with what they find. Are you adding any ferts or medicine at this time? Any other fish in the tank with the shrimp? How long has the tank been setup? What type of substrate and is it heavily planted? Just some things to think about.
post #14 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Neocaridina. No other fish, 5 gallon planted. No ferts, Co2 or medicine. Been set up 3 weeks today. Cycled and thought it was ready for action.
post #15 of 148 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Set up how? Substrate? How'd you 'cycle' it? Which kit did you use to test water parameters?

GH and KH are extremely important when it comes to shrimp, as others have suggested. What's your current GH & KH and which specific kit did you use to test? What about GH & KH of the origin tank/water the shrimp were in?

Measured TDS?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode