The Planted Tank Forum banner

my guess is to avoid imported shrimp?

585 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Yukiharu 
#1 ·
I've made mistake and bought 3 times tiger shrimp from the same LFS,as I've found later this store offers wide variety of hard to find shrimp,(bumblebee, tiges..) bc they import wild caught straight from China and Taiwan, all tigers lasted less then couple of days each time,I've tried different tanks, different water parameters,my own colonys are doing fine. I think those stores import shrimp then put on sale and sell quick, they don't worry if they survive, Nxt time I'll buy tank raised only

#2 ·
If getting wild caught imports, it's best to try and find out what water parameters they come from... which may be difficult because no one may be able to tell you....

You have the stress of them being caught, then transferred into water that may not be ideal for them at least once or twice before being introduced to your own tank. A lot of stress in being caught, shipped and transferred.

It certainly can be done, but may be harder than tank raised shrimp that have been established in captivity for longer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.