Amano shrimps left the aquarium. - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question Amano shrimps left the aquarium.

Hallo!
3 (nearly 4) weeks ago I started up ADA Aquarium 90 Cube garden. 3 days ago I thought I can to buy Amano shrimps for algae control. The next day after placing shrimps all of them jumped and it were found on the floor.
Water parameters I didn't measure.
I use ADA Amazonia (and the whole set of ADA additives), RO System Spectra Pure, TDS 2.
3 times Brighty K daily
3 times Step 1 daily
9 drops phyton git daily
9 drops green bacter daily
CO2 5 bubbles per second
What could dislike the shrimp, that they all jumped out of the aquarium overnight?
Thanks..='(

Sorry for my English, I am autodidact, I'm from Russia.
- ADA Cube Garden 90cm (90x45x45)
- Ada amazonia + all susbtrate system ADA (Penac P/Penac W, Bacter 100, Tourmaline BC, Power sand and other)
- ADA Super Jet Filter ES-1200EX
- Lightning ADA MH 2x150W
- CO2 (5-6 bubbles per second)
- Water RO TDS=3 SpectraPure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Could be the high CO2 concentration... (have heard it's best to keep it at 3 BPS or less)

It could be the ferts

Maybe they weren't acclimated well enough to the water before being introduced into the aquarium?

Or perhaps it's the algae removing product???

You've got a lot going on in your tank and not knowing your water parameters.... well, multiple reasons, really...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

We can't really guess his CO2 concentration as BPS is different for every bubble counter, and some large tanks are definitely going to go well above 3 BPS. Do you have a drop checker?
I don't reckon it is the additives, ADA uses them in tanks with Amano shrimp, and they do well. I mean the shrimp technically shares the name of the company hahaha. Also, eventhough the additive is an acid, you add such a small amount its effect on a tank's pH would be miniscule if noticeable at all due to all the different buffering species in the water. The argument on whether you need the additives is another thing, but I don't think they will hurt. I also doubt the pH drop from OP adding CO2 is going to be large enough to cause problems unless OP really is adding tonnes in, and/or has no KH.
I think acclimating could be something to go on, but as others have said we need to know water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
natemcnutty likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Planted Member

Shrimp are notorious escape artists, you really should have a lid on your tank.

I kept finding RCS in my HOB filter and for a long time I couldn't figure out how they got in there.

Anyway 1 day I spotted a shrimp climbing into the HOB.

My heater is under the filter outlet and so is part of the power cord, It seems the shrimp use the power cord as a highway in and out of the filter. No I'm serious got photos to prove it.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your reply.
All your experience is important for me.

I've read tons of articles and forums regarding that problem.
Looks like it is common problem for a lot of AMANO shrimp keepers.
one part of aquarists have no issue with them, and everything goes fine. Other part discuss the distance the can cover without water and truly amazed how far from the aquarium they found dead shrimps

I believe that it is something wrong with water. Shrimp of fish jumps because of stress or chemistry.
Lid is not an option. As for me it looks ugly for ADA setup. Look at AMANO gallery non of the tanks covered. And i am sure has tons of AMANO shrimps. And if this is problem of water chemistry lid sounds cruel to me, as it force them to live in the wrong water conditions.

It is obvious, this little algae killing hero is extremely important member of planted tank. And I want to find the reason and i do not want to hurt any new shrimp.

Probably someone know something or can post a link for any advanced article about caridina japonica care tips.

- Ada amazonia + all susbtrate system ADA (Penac P/Penac W, Bacter 100, Tourmaline BC, Power sand and other)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
I believe that it is something wrong with water. Shrimp of fish jumps because of stress or chemistry.
My water is perfect for my shrimp they breed like crazy, The reason they love the filter is because its full of food they love.

Some fish jump because thats the way they get food in the wild its instinctive for them, Eg Bettas are notorious jumpers they are insectivores and thats how they would catch their food normally.

I had to lover the water in my Betta sorority by a good 5 inches to stop the girls jumping out.

Quote:
And if this is problem of water chemistry lid sounds cruel to me, as it force them to live in the wrong water conditions.
It is also cruel when they jump out and die on the carpet.

Quote:
What could dislike the shrimp, that they all jumped out of the aquarium overnight?
What are your water parameters? You know the important stuff
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
What temp is the water
Is the tank cycled

Quote:
Lid is not an option. As for me it looks ugly for ADA setup. Look at AMANO gallery non of the tanks covered.
A lid is NOT ugly and appart from preventing your live stock jumping out it also helps maintain a stable water temp and helps cut down on evaporation.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cycle is finished.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0,1
pH 6,2
kH 1
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZuboov View Post
Cycle is finished.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0,1
pH 6,2
kH 1
The KH may be your problem. Take a measurement of your Ph just before lights on and again just before lights off. With a KH that low, you may be experiencing violent ph swings that would cause the shrimp discomfort. I may consider a Gh/ Kh booster in your dosing regiment

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.
125G High Tech Journal.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZuboov View Post
Hallo!
3 (nearly 4) weeks ago I started up ADA Aquarium 90 Cube garden. 3 days ago I thought I can to buy Amano shrimps for algae control. The next day after placing shrimps all of them jumped and it were found on the floor.
Water parameters I didn't measure.
I use ADA Amazonia (and the whole set of ADA additives), RO System Spectra Pure, TDS 2.
3 times Brighty K daily
3 times Step 1 daily
9 drops phyton git daily
9 drops green bacter daily
CO2 5 bubbles per second
Thanks..='(
They didn't like your water. It happened to me a lot when I first started this hobby. Many fishes and shrimps would jump out. But now that my tank is stable, they don't jump out anymore. But I have a feeling, you're putting too much co2 and fertz.
Aqua99 likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
The KH may be your problem. Take a measurement of your Ph just before lights on and again just before lights off. With a KH that low, you may be experiencing violent ph swings that would cause the shrimp discomfort. I may consider a Gh/ Kh booster in your dosing regiment
Before lights on I have drop checker ADA with dark blue color (pH=8,0?), before lights off my drop checker has yellow color (pH=6,2?). I want to have stable parameters of water (without jumps). How can I make parameters of water next: pH=6,4, dKh=2-4, dGh=4 all day long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
But now that my tank is stable, they don't jump out anymore.
What do You doing in your aquarium? What maintaince do you have?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Use RO/DI water only with a GH+ remineralizer. (if you have any ferts that add KH, find an alternative)

Lower the CO2 BPS.

Remove anything that could be causing KH to rise in the tank. KH brings the pH up, and CO2 brings the pH down, causing a shift in parameters.

If you want stable, remove CO2 altogether. Even more stable? Don't use a buffering substrate that removes KH from the water. (which would defeat the purpose of your setup...)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Use RO/DI water only with a GH+ remineralizer. (if you have any ferts that add KH, find an alternative)

Lower the CO2 BPS.

Remove anything that could be causing KH to rise in the tank. KH brings the pH up, and CO2 brings the pH down, causing a shift in parameters.

If you want stable, remove CO2 altogether. Even more stable? Don't use a buffering substrate that removes KH from the water. (which would defeat the purpose of your setup...)
Hallo!
I have used RO GH+remineralizer and dKh+. I have created next parameters: dKh=2, dGh=3 with remineralizers. I have used ADA Brighty K. It reises dKh (Seemingly). I can not do without him because it is basicly fertz for ADA System.
Do You speak to remove Co2? Are you seriously? I have used 2x150 MH Lightning))) If I will not to use Co2 my tank it will be covered by algae: thread algae and etc.
I want to have aquarium like Amano and I have everthing for this without knowledge and experience -)

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Planted Member

Not remove it entirely, just turn it down a bit. You should get a ph pen and test your water just before the co2 comes on, and again just before lights on. You want a ph change of 1. Right now, you are getting a ph change of 1.8, which is very, very high co2.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.
125G High Tech Journal.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Like I said, lower CO2 and no more KH.

ADA substrate is *MEANT* to keep the pH stable between 5.8 and 6.8 pH.

Adding KH to the water column causes the pH to rise, as it helps to buffer the pH.

HOWEVER........ because you have a buffering substrate, the substrate consumes the KH in the water column. This causes the pH to lower. It also causes your substrate to lose it's buffering capacity faster.

Add in the amount of CO2 you are using, you are causing even wider pH swings than necessary.

Doing those two little things can help to create a more stable environment.

If you want the environment to be *MORE* stable, you need a low tech tank. And, as I said, that defeats the purpose of your setup.

If you are having a problem with algae, then you can also try raising the lights, have the lights on for less hours during the day (and/or put a "siesta" in the middle of the lights being on) or use less lights. (if you have more than one light on the aquarium)
Opare and Aqua99 like this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Planted Member

Wait, I just noticed you have a 90 cube garden. Is it a 90p or 90h? If it's a 90p, you are waaaaaay overdoing it on your lights. 300w of lighting over 45 gallons is begging for trouble.

125G High Tech Journal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode