Largest "neat" fish you can keep with shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Largest "neat" fish you can keep with shrimp?

I'm about 4 months in to my 125 gallon low tech planted tank, and I'm thinking about adding some shrimp. I've got a 6' discus that I know will have to go, but I'd like something bigger than my Congo's to look at. Any suggestions?
NickAu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your best bet is to stick with larger shrimp... such as amanos, vampire or bamboo. Other species are likely to get eaten much quicker. These species might reproduce but the offspring wont survive.

If you have a *heavily* planted tank and you start with shrimp and put in some *small* fish, then you might be able to keep a thriving population of small Neos and fish. Fish in a shrimp tank does mean lower breeding of shrimp.

Shrimp don't do well in a tank that has been treated for copper, although copper from ferts *might* be okay as long as you keep it on the low end. Also, it's good to know the GH, KH and TDS of the tank water so that you know that shrimp will survive in it.
NickAu likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Royal Pleco or Bristlenose I keep do not bother shrimp.
Shrimp is natural food for most other species.
NickAu likes this.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:10 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually even your congo's will eat shrimp, easily and happily... So happily...
Most fish won't mind shrimp snack.
Veritas and NickAu like this.

Ropefish playground
- 120x48x60 cm
Nano playground - 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm (working on it!)
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There's no way young dwarf shrimp would make a go of it in a tank with 3" meat eating fish, their babies are even tinier, less than 3mm long when hatched and they don't tend to actively hide from the predators.
NickAu likes this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
85 gallon stock tank, "pond"
5g low-tech Java Fern jungle.
2.5g +1.2g satellite stream-clay crypt and Fern tank.
20 GallonH Streamsoil dirt tank
Pendant-hooded, LED A19 bulb lighting.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Unfortunately it's usually best to not add any fish with shrimp. The only mostly safe fish is the otocinclus, although zebra ottos are confirmed shrimp eaters iirc.
If you really want to you can try any fish that's ~1" long (rasboras are a good choice) but even then it's a risk. Danios are infamous shrimp-eaters and tetra will go after shrimp too if they get a taste for them. Best bet is a small, low-tech shrimp tank if you want a good colony.
I have cherry shrimp in my community tank and they're either very good at hiding or they're disappearing.
NickAu likes this.

10 Gallon Planted Shrimp Tank
Blue Diamond Neocaridina
Tangerine Tiger Caridina
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

Absolutely no fish in shrimp tank except oto, i've tried many small nano species fish and all of them were hunting for baby shrimp
NickAu likes this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:18 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
i've tried many small nano species fish and all of them were hunting for baby shrimp
Unless the fish is strictly vegetarian baby shrimp are on the menu, Even Assassin snails will hunt and eat shrimp.
D3monic likes this.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I keep a shrimp tank and put the culls in the community tanks. That way if they do breed the offspring get eaten but the adults usually thrive.. but my tanks are usually micro fish.
NickAu likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi Topia 75gal rivers edge- Retired Dario Hysginon breeding log - Retired NEW: 28gal Journal
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

"Judge a person by their questions rather than their answers."

I think the most flashy thing you can keep with them is guppies... You do get nice guppies, try American livebearer Assoc.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Threadfin Rainbow's have tiny mouth's and adult shrimp could be safe, but the tiny shrimplet's would be snack's.
A large school of Threadfin's males/females is something to see with their posturing and posing at breeding time.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Planted Member

I see a lot of suggestions for a shrimp only tank. Would I be ok with a tank of neons, corys and a pleco and cherries? My plants are growing in, and I have lots of driftwood.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
I see a lot of suggestions for a shrimp only tank. Would I be ok with a tank of neons, corys and a pleco and cherries? My plants are growing in, and I have lots of driftwood.
No idea about the pleco (depends on the type) but the others will be fine if well-fed.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Algae Grower

Ive been readin up on this too.

There are all kinds of mixed opinions on the internet....some say they have good luck with fish A or fish B and then the next person says Fish A n B ate every shrimp in their tank lol.

Frankly....I am surprised shrimp are as popular as they are being they almost demand a species only tank.

I ordered a dozen Orange(cherry shrimp) and theyve been living in a bucket for days because they are so small I am afraid the Rummies in my 125 will munch them and its not planted heavily enough yet for the shrimp to hide. I am going to set up a 40 breeder with the shrimp and my L183s. I think that will work and give me double duty out of that tank. I may also try guppies if/when the shrimp get established.
Zoidburg likes this.

You know what makes me sad? YOU DO! ya jackwagon
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
Some people will go with pygmy cories, since they are about the size (if not smaller) than an adult shrimp. Some others have tried larger cories though... and if a shrimp were to get beneath their mouth, there's a good chance the shrimp will get sucked up.

A lot of people have BN plecos with shrimp and most people I've seen/heard with BN plecos and shrimp haven't had any issues. Not to say that there aren't... but you never know.

Neons might or might not leave the adults alone. Have heard that neon tetras will gang up on an adult shrimp, so again, your taking your chances.

Just get a good, healthy shrimp population going (start with at least 10-20) and in 6 months or so down the road (once the shrimp have had time to acclimate, breed and reproduce), start introducing fish slowly. This is the best route to go if you want to try a community tank with shrimp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode