The Planted Tank Forum banner

what to do with shrimp after culling?

22K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  NickAu 
#1 ·
What do You do with unwanted shrimp if You try to do selective breeding? By mistake my RCS mixed with chocolate and now I have to cull,some of them are blue, brown, green, do You sell those shrimp?

#6 ·
Where You located at?

I would LOVE to get some Biodiversity in my wild-type Neo Colony!!! Shoot me a few pics, and a price for the shrimp and shipping cost and I would take quite a few from Ya!!! Or if We are somewhat close to each other I would drive to get them too! Shipping shrimp is pretty to do! You can ship Priority Mail from most places in the US in a Styro-Lined Priority box and give them some moss or plant clippings to hold on to with plenty of water, and they will be fine as long as it is not to Cold or Hot!!!

So holler back at me if you would like to work a deal out, if not and would like to stay with doing something local that is cool too!!! Just thought We might could help each other out!!!

Take Care and Best of Luck with Your Shrimp!!!
Drew

#12 ·
good fish food is expensive
As much as it pains me as a shrimp person to agree? This is a terrific point to make. And it's not inhumane. Especially great if you have a ton of shrimp and have expensive fish to feed.

But really - offer them in the RAOK section. Or put them up for sale in the For Sale section. Can't even begin to fathom how many 'culls' I've purchased through the years. With the exception of a few random purchases for nicer shrimp, everything I've got came from culls. It's a great way to start with shrimp.

#18 ·
Really, quite delicious. You have to eat it the way Chinese eat em, ie you mash the meat out with your tongue and roof of your mount maybe with a bit of chew and spit out the shells.

All these caridina and neocaridina all come from east asia after all, and before the pet trade started this is what they were good for.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Well I find my shrimp sometimes all over my house. Bathtub, sink, floor, couch, dinner table even! So maybe one of the moma shrimp Jumped out of your tank, flew (with superman cape on her saddle of course) 30+ft into your Oscar tank, had babies, and quickly retreated back into her home tank...
It could happen, heres one of my shrimp helping clean the HOB filter LOL

This will give you an idea of how far she climbed up a hidden power chord to get to that spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.