The Planted Tank Forum banner

missing cherry shrimp

15K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Zoidburg 
#1 ·
I just recently bought 3 cherry shrimps from my lcf but today I saw one missing.It is berried and i believe the eggs are gonna hatch soon,I flipped the entire tank lifting up drfit wood and etc but i still can't find it even if it is dead there must be shell left.Is it possible that my rummy nose tetra and cory ate the shrimp?I searched online and they should be ok with shrimp as long they are adults.Any idea what happened?

#2 ·
Are the other shrimp alright? If so, my bet would be the missing shrimp died from the stress of moving and acclimation, and then got eaten. In my experience, a live shrimp is not worth the trouble of catching - a dead shrimp is a meal and never lasts long. When a shrimp dies in my community tank I don't even bother pulling it out - my rummy noses and even the other shrimp make pretty quick work of it.

Sorry for your shrimp :( It sucks to lose a berried one! Hope the others do well.

#4 ·
The other shrimp will eat the shell pretty quickly. You may still get lucky and find out she is hiding though. Mine always find a safe place to release the babies.

Also, I'd be pretty cautious about moving things around much with shrimp. Until they are well established, they tend to get stressed easily which can lead to lots of issues ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
there's a sponge on the filter that prevents that

my god shrimps are sure interesting the female shrimp literally came out at night from no where I guess this is a false alert since i'm new to shrimp keeping.Thanks to all of you that gave yall advice and opinions glad I don't have any shrimp dying just got 2 additional rili shrimps today I can see i have much more to learn :p

#8 ·
If you don't have it already, buy a GH/KH kit (should be like $8) to make sure you have enough calcium/magnesium for proper shell development and molting. This is the number one reason people lose shrimp.

For GH (general hardness), I'd shoot for somewhere around 8, and is keep the temp around 74 if possible (good balance between growth, longer life, and lower chance of bacterial infection).

Just note that rilis will mate with cherries and can give wild offspring. You'll just have to cull them if that isn't desirable to you.

#9 ·
I would avoid moving all your hardscape and such around in your aquarium looking for shrimp. The added stress of that along with any stuff you stirred up is not good. While I understand your interest and concern for the shrimp, it's typically not worth stressing out the rest over one shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I'm not sure what kind of minerals you would be adding, but we are looking for mostly calcium and magnesium (in about a 4:1 balance if possible).

There are shrimp specific remineralizers, but those are fairly expensive. Some people use Seachem Equilibrium. I personally use Nilocg's GH booster since that is what I already had on hand.

#24 ·
Excellent! Best thing you can do for them is keep things stable and keep up the dissolved oxygen.

With a saddled female, watch a few hours after your next water change to see if the makes are swimming around in the tank like crazy. That means she had molted and is ready for mating, and they are trying to find her.

Too many males can result in added stress to the female, so just make sure she is eating and healthy ;)

#28 ·
Shrimp only - no fish, high dissolved oxygen (add an airstone or HOB if necessary), and proper, stable parameters. Babies molt a lot, so having enough calcium (check your GH) is very important.

Also, it is not uncommon for the first batch to not do so well. The females are smaller and new to the process, so they don't take as good of care of the eggs which results in a few less than you'll get the next time. Having said that, only getting a couple is not normal, so you'll definitely want to check parameters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.