The Planted Tank Forum banner

Killing planaria, and saving snails.

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Connudatus 
#1 ·
I have an issue. My tank is small, it's 2.5Gal, but only 1.5Gal is water
The largest residents in my tank are my 25 dark blue neocaridinas and my single zebra nerite. I also have about 100 each of bladder and mini ramshorn snails, 250+ limpets(my favorites), 20ish Malaysian Trumpet snails, 40-70 amphipods, a ton of copepods, and a few ostracods(hoping those reproduce), and now a few tiny planaria :(. I want the planaria gone. They harass my shrimp and snails, causing death and stalling reproduction. I've used Fenbendazole in the past, and I'd really rather not go that route, it will kill a lot of what I have built. Does anyone have any suggestions for safe treatments I could do that would not harm my other tankmates. Right now the planaria that I have are quite small, maybe 3-4 mm long and 1-1.5mm wide. I was hoping they would be nematodes, but I'm doubting that they are. There are not many of them, and they never leave the substrate. If I can manage a picture I'll try to get one.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Right now I am praying for flatworms, they're still too small to tell if they're going to have triangular heads with eyes. But the way they move is so much like planaria

Not the masterworks, but they are the best I can do. I tried to get photos with Limpet shells or plant roots. The bright green roots are about a millimeter wide, the limpet shells are about 2.5mm wide.

Bump: There are also detritus worms in these photos. So I know this isn't one of them.

Looks like you were right. It has been a few weeks and I have watched them grow. I am now positively they do not have triangular shaped heads, or obvious eyes. In the pictures I am posting, the head is the section with the white spot towards the end. Thanks for the help. They are Rhabdocoela.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.