The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fungus on Egg Clutch

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Turningdizzy 
#1 ·
I have this female neo, she laid a large batch of eggs and I noticed that she had so many that she was having issues with keeping them fanned properly. Now they have the fungus that all fish eggs get when not oxygenated. She appears rather uncomfortable and seems to be trying to rid herself of them. I realize that the eggs are goners but should I just leave her alone or try to help her in some way. I really don't want her to die and I really don't want to kill her trying to help her. My water parameters are within neo preferences and I have other berried shrimp in the tank that appear to be having no issues.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
...She appears rather uncomfortable and seems to be trying to rid herself of them...
How so, by scraping or by quick erratic motions? If scraping maybe put something with a sharp edge in the tank. Half buried comb with bristles up, maybe? If quick motions maybe a small powerhead or area of more flow to help dislodge them. I'm probably giving the shrimp too much credit for being able to see these things as tools to help them but who knows. Just trying to think of ways to help her help herself if that's what she's doing

maybe take some airline tubing, put one end in your mouth, get the other end by the eggs and give a quick puff to knock them loose?
just a thought...

#5 ·
I did think about the airline thing, only I was thinking about using a syringe on the mouth end to force a jet of water through. I will move her to a breeder box this evening so that I won't have to chase her all over the tank and give it a try.

#7 ·
Well, the water jet didn't work. I let her back into the tank and she went and hid. I suspect that if she survives until her next molt the situation will resolve itself. I just think that carrying around moldy eggs is not good for her. The other berried ladies are all fine and everyone else is busy doing shrimp things. I am still curious if anyone has experienced this and what the outcome was.

#8 ·
UPDATE: For anyone interested. The shrimp is fine. She molted right out of the bad egg situation. She never lost her spunk during the ordeal. She explored the tank, boxed for food, swam loopity-loops, rested on plants, bumped into the heater and freaked out, all the usual shrimp stuff. Now, I am curious to see what happens next time she is berried.

#9 ·
FINAL UPDATE: Two more females that were berried developed the fungus on egg clutches. They all molted out of the problem. I did two, seven day courses of Melafix, and ran a UV filter in the tank for the last month. I just took the UV out because we noticed babies on the glass and I don't want to chance them being sucked into the UV intake. Three females are berried and are several weeks in with no signs of fungus. Hopefully whatever it was is gone now.

Reactions: Yukiharu
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.