The Planted Tank Forum banner

My wife killed all my shrimp!

5K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  Digitalfiend 
#1 ·
A few days ago I found my wife walking around the house spraying Raid to kill fruit flies. I specifically told her to stop as there are fish tanks around and that's a no, no. So last night I heard the spray of death for an aerosol can. A few minutes later I made my way to feed the fish and shrimp. And what do you think I saw? Oh, all my Blue Dream and Sakura shrimp spazzing out and dieing before my eyes.

#3 ·
Yes, bug spray is bad, bad, bad. It will wipe them out quickly. Had a similar experience with just the residue on stored substrate from several months prior to using it. Nasty stuff. So sorry to hear about your loss.

#15 ·
Wow that sucks. Well hopefully she learned her lesson. And champagne bottle with a sip left works for catching them nasty little flies. Keep the metal twist cap it comes with and just place it over the opening, place it where you want to catch the flies and voila. We had a crazy amount last summer and that champagne bottle worked for us.

#16 ·
That sucks man, sorry to hear that :/

Never mind aquariums: that spray stuff shouldn't even be used in human habitats. As part of my old job as a paralegal in toxic tort litigation, I spoke to a lot of people who developed cancer and other serious illnesses from seemingly benign consumer products and industrial exposure. It baffles me that people spray aerosol cans of actual poison in their homes.

Interesting about the endlers learning to eat shrimp from picking at the dead ones. I've never heard of that. I use ghost shrimp to keep my endler numbers down - did not realize that could be a two way street.

#21 ·
Yeah I stuck the 2 remaining shrimp back in the tank and those female endlers totally went to pound town on the shrimp.

Bump:
Mmm, well, at least I can say your half is a normal woman so :smile2: May be a good opportunity to claim for reparation? Christmast time is coming, What about asking a full lot of Blue dreams, Green Babaultis and Tangerine tigers?
I already contacted the forum member I got them from originally for replacements. It just really pisses me off because I've only had them for about a month and they were doing really well.

Bump:
everyime I go out of town my wife manages to kill a bunch of [censored][censored][censored][censored]. Lost 20+ fish one trip
This happens to my buddy every time e he leaves town for work. All his tanks turn into cesspools with the quickness. I always offer to go over and tend to the tanks but he always feels like they're in good hands.

#25 · (Edited)
Sounds like she is too lazy to go wash her hands. All kinds of hell would break loose if anyone did that in my house.
As for fish being killed when we are away... the best way to train your family how to look after the tanks is to let them do it occasionally when you are around to check out how they are doing it.

#36 ·
That sucks to hear. I'm surprised anyone sprays raid for fruit flies though, isn't that stuff pretty high powered? Also never heard of anyone letting their tank critters eat leftover food off their hands... in my head I picture the oil and salt spreading like miasma and killing everything, lol x.x Learn something new everyday, I suppose! hopefully your shrimps will be safe from the assault of raid thanks to this event... also, every raid can in the house would be flying to the garbage ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.