The Planted Tank Forum banner

Maple Leaves

14K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Yukiharu 
#1 ·
The only thread I could find in this was 8 years old. I went ahead and out a few dried Japanese maple leaves in my tank thinking they couldn't be that different from oak. Anyone have any experiences with maple leaves?

Edit: I have a community riparium with 8 RCS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
I didn't really document it or anything. When I first set up my 75 I was playing around with some aquatic potting soil and planted everything in terra cotta pots for the first few months. I added a few bunches of leaves just for a little more natural look. Fish loved all the hidey-holes the leaf bed provided. Didn't notice any affect on water parameters. Like I mentioned before, maples seemed to break down much faster than the oaks. I only had them in the tank for about 6 weeks, though.

#7 ·
I had the same experience with maples. The hey broke down quickly, and not even in the "leaf skeleton" the way most leaves do. Just kind of disappeared except for the stem way to quickly to be practical. It stinks because my property is loaded with maple trees.

Even if they did last long, aesthetically, I don't find them complementary to a tropical tank. They look too familiar, not exotic enough. Now if you're doing a temperate setup, they may look perfect, but oaks will last much longer.

#8 ·
I had the same experience with maples. The hey broke down quickly, and not even in the "leaf skeleton" the way most leaves do. Just kind of disappeared except for the stem way to quickly to be practical. It stinks because my property is loaded with maple trees.

Even if they did last long, aesthetically, I don't find them complementary to a tropical tank. They look too familiar, not exotic enough. Now if you're doing a temperate setup, they may look perfect, but oaks will last much longer.

I totally get that. I find my Japanese maple to look more exotic then my others. That or I just love that tree the most :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#9 ·
Just fyi, japanese maples are not the same tree as the maples we have in the states. Just something to consider when stating how "maple" leaves act in the aquarium.

I dont use leaf litter in my tanks but my mother in law has a few japanese maples and their entire structure is completely different than american maples and they also have less fragile leaves.

Japanese maples are actually used in bonsai style topiary so they are technically a bonsai tree (there are many). Not sure how they would work in an aquarium though.

#10 ·
Dried Birch leaves ,Oak leaves, are what I have used in the past for blackwater biotopes.
Shrimps and fishes loved picking at them in search of tiny infusoria and or other micro critter's.
Did tend to cause filter material to get dirtier a bit faster but nothing alarmingly so.
Ought to see a bunch of tiny bristlenose fry set to work on these leaves when first introduced to the tank.
I normally placed a small stone on the leaves to keep em where I wanted them or set the corner of a piece of wood on them to hold them down.
Seemed to want to float for a day or two otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.