The Planted Tank Forum banner

I want to breed snails?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  WaterLife 
#1 ·
So, i want to have some snails that will breed, but not completely take over tanks. however, im at a loss for what to look for, i love nerite snails, but the eggs for them only hatch once the water turns brackish, so thats a no go.

theyll be going in a 26g planted with 2 angels, 10 black neons, and a few amano shrimp.

and also in a 5g spec v planted thats going to be a breeding tank for rcs.

Ive considered getting the pest snails intentionally (lol) because they breed so prolifically, and then getting some assasin snails to feed off them. Kinda like a little snail eco system, but i really sont want some huge snail armageddon where i have more pest snails than the asassin snails can handle.

honestly id really like the assasin snails, but i would of course have to have a breeding group of feeder snails to supply them.

does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
Just put a tub of water with some floating plants in the backyard to raise snails in. I have a little roofed area without gutters, I placed mine right under the edge so it gets topped of with rain and dew running off the roof. Chuck them the odd piece of cucumber.

#4 ·
Might want to try some mystery snails. They have a really col breeding pattern where they lay their eggs at the upper edge of the aquarium, yes out of the water! I had some that bred, and it was really cool. I was also able to trade them for plants and other stuff.

#5 ·
dont those get quite large? that might be an option, im not sure how many my little 26 gallon will handle a whole bunch of them breeding though... i was thinking some small ones, i really like the pond snails, or Malaysian trumpet snails, but i think they eat plants, so that would be disastrous.

#7 ·
I would probably not keep a mystery snail, let alone try to breed them, in a 5g aquarium. You would of course be fine in the 26 gallon. I think ramshorn snails, especially if you get a nicely colored variant, are big enough to be interesting and definitely small enough to keep in a 5 gallon tank. That said, they may breed more quickly than you want them to, but I don't consider them "pest snails" (though some of course do) because they're so pretty IMO.

#9 ·
I keep rams horns in all my tanks. They are great algae control and they help eat dead leaves on my plants. You can get Pink and Blue rams if you like interesting mutations.

Another snail benefit, they eat the leftover food that your fish miss.
The more leftover food, the more snails you end up with.
If you end up with way too many snails, then you are overfeeding. Like a canary in a coal mine.

#8 ·
I have a10 gallon qt tank I've intentionally left snails in as an experiment for myself, and I've noticed that ramshorn snails seen to breed significantly than pond snails. Though even months after I set up my experiment, I'm still not sure if I want to introduce them to my main tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.