Leaf Litter For shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Leaf Litter For shrimp tank

I was wondering how much leaves would be necessary for my shrimp tank. I plan on keeping red cherry shrimp. I have a small pond with tons of leaves I was wondering if I could use these leaves, and how much I would need for my tank. I want to have a carpet of leaves in the tank since I heard leaves are extremely beneficial. But is this necessary? Does it harm the tank in any way?
Any help is appreciated
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not necessary. Beneficial yes. But you don't have to have leaf litter to have perfectly healthy shrimp. I use oak leaves I gather from around my mom's yard that are not sprayed or near the road. I'd be cautious using leaves out of a pond. Make sure it's clean if you do but beware you could introduce nasty things into your tank. All you need is a couple leaves depending on the tank size and number of shrimp. It provides a nice place for biofilm to grow and gives shrimp something to eat. Some leaves like Indian Almond leaves release compounds that have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. They can also lower pH so beware of that. It might be something you want or maybe not.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

What would you say is more beneficial, alot of plants or alot of leaves? I heard you can't really have both since the plants outcompete the bacteria on the leaves.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Can't say I've heard that one before. Bio-film will grow everywhere. The shrimp with eat it. I've had plants and leaves in my tank and the leaves broke down and the shrimp grazed on them just as intended. I'd personally do both. I'd plant the tank to your liking not taking leaves into consideration. Then just a couple leaves just for added measure or more if it's a big tank. I'll add a leaf or two at some point to my 7.5 gallon tank. I haven't yet but I do have a couple sticks of cholla wood in there which more or less serves the same purpose as leaves.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

You can have both plants and leaves, and I would definitely recommend both. =) I second being careful about pond leaves, they could contain various parasites or critters you dont want to breed in your tank. I'd get low light stem plants that you can put leaves around. Plants will out compete algae but not bacteria, unless you're speaking of cyanobacteria, and you don't want that in your tank anyway.

Def would recommend almond leaves, banana sprigs and guava leaves!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you get the leaves from the pond, give them a boil before putting them in the tank.

10 gal low tech | 20 gal low tech Dutch
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

I agree I recommend both plant and leaves =D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode