The Planted Tank Forum banner

Uh OH! SNAILS!!

508 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Pattern8 
#1 ·
I was gifted a single plant with a ramshorn snail stuck to it. Well the little guy made freinds with the one I had already and now I have a motherload of snails. I'm thrilled! their so cute. Ok the issue: How do I make the perfect tank for them? I had them in my fish tank with my fish but due to a leak there curenty living in a 2 gallon tank while my big tank gets repaired. So Im starting over with a second tank. What do I use for a substrate? I have heard sand is easy to clean. I admit I don't clean my tank enough. I have a 20 gal filter and some castles. I also have three bubble walls (two small one large) and pumps for each. I have a small heater which seems to do well. I kind of want to do a cute themed tank and plant it but I have no clue what to plant. I am great with house plants but never tried aquatics. So Help a newbie out! Oh the fish are: one platty and two corys

#3 ·
This is the temp tank

Bump: and this is the tank I wanna use. This will become the temp tank as soon as the temp is up. This stuff will all be goign in my 10 gallon planted tank (curently empty and clean)

Bump: and this is the tank I wanna use. This will become the temp tank as soon as the temp is up. This stuff will all be goign in my 10 gallon planted tank (curently empty and clean)

Attachments

#4 ·
Keep your temp in the upper 70°s, your pH 7.0 or above, and your GH at least 5. You can plant it with whatever you like-I've never experienced them damaging any healthy leaves of any plant. I really favor Java fern. Extremely hardy and beautiful plant. Very all around undemanding. You can supplement their diet with the occasional algae wafer.

One word of caution: they will multiply and do so fairly rapidly if there is a food source available. They can also be pretty messy.

Though many in the hobby consider them as "pests" with the proper population control I've found them to be very useful. 1) they keep the glass algae free 2) they maintain a strong bio load in my shrimp tank 3) constant food source for my dwarf puffers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.