Sulawesi shrimp guide *in progress* - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
no Im glad you posted it! I had found that info about the specific lake water paramaters, but couldnt find what shrimp were from what lake so I just ommited and was hoping somebody would have that!

I found a third lake, lake poso. Any shrimp from there or is that the snail lake? (orange poso snail)
The link in my previous post with the paper describing the eight new Sulawesi species has a comlete list of the 15 described species from the Malili lakes - (Matano, Towuti and Mahalona) and the 6 described species from Lake Poso. . White orchids are supposed to be from there but I can't confirm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Algae Grower

Close but no cigar...

Excellent thread guys...

Just a quick question that has confounded me and had me losing sleep.

Have had a Shrimp nano tank for some time with a mixture of CRS and Sulawesi Cardinals. Have been very lucky to get both breeds to berry and was ecstatic when both Sulawesi C and CRS females borne young shrimplets.

CRS had a much larger volume of babies maybe 50% more than the Sulawesi C's, but both seemed to live in harmony whilst bringing up the young....( Or so I thought )...

After a period of 2>3 wks I lost all of my Sulawesi Cardinals overnight. First thoughts were that my water params had gone up and the more sensitive shrimp had perished to the volume / head count increase. Ran water tests and no evidence of spike...No sign of young or parents were found whilst rooting around the Aquascape.

Am now at a loss to fathom as to why I lost 20+ Sulawesi shrimp overnight. Has any of the forum members kept both breeds within the same biotope and experienced canabilism from CRS to other shrimp breeds.

Am still happy with the number of CRS now accumulating and plan to keep SC's again when I can find them available but will house them in their own biotope...

Any thoughts welcome...

Last edited by Anubia; 08-26-2010 at 10:06 AM.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice thread. When I first came to this forum about 2 months ago to feed my planted invert tank ambitions I know that I found these "Care Sheet" threads to be invaluable. Possibility of adding recommended plant species ? Maybe some native Sulawesi species ? I don't even know if any are on the market yet as I'm pretty sure this lake is very new to the market. Great post though and keep up the good work !

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Algae Grower

Sulawesi Cardinal

Hi Finalplay....

The Sulawesi Cardinals were only available once at Maidenhead Aquatics - (Taunton) hence I bought 8...They were not cheap but was amazed by the colours and the prancing white front feet feeders, which were constantly on the move. The Cardinal prefers a flat rock scape and tend to stick to these environments whereas the CRS will graze where it deems fit.

Will certainly hope to keep these lovely shrimp again but am having problems locating a UK breeder in the South West. Cannot confirm that the 8 purchased from my LFS were from the wild or tank bred. Would like to hope they were UK tank bred rather than the constant raping from wild environments to appease this hobby. But hey what a lovely hobby......

Am now planning my 2nd planted nano as I'm getting the bug and wish to improve my aqua-scaping skills and keep different plants and fauna.

Regards, Chris
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to DUHK Send a message via Yahoo to DUHK
Can I use Aragonite as the substrate for the shrimp instead of crushed coral? I read that aragonite keeps the pH fairly stable at 8.2.

Please let me know what you think!

Also, would I be able to grow Anubias petite in the same tank?
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 AM

Is there any where in uk that sell these shrimp or snails for a sulawesi biotope?
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 AM
These pants? are fancy.

Contact Jared at atyidae.com, he is in the UK and really obsessed with Sulawesi
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 AM
Algae Grower

Hi guys.

You all seem to have such amazing knowledge and I was suggested to come to this forum.

I'm quite a newbie to fish keeping and recently just got some shrimps. The last one that I got was a Sulawesi cardinal. He's been in my tank for a 10 days or so and seems happy.

I've been told that since I have ADA aqua soil in my tank it may not be ideal to sustain the little guy in there.

My question is, if my water was not ideal, would he have survived this far? i have had him for about 10 days now. Or will he just drop dead one day?

I really don't want to see him go as he's pretty much favourite thing in my tank.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Ps, feel free to check out my tank in my signature.

Thanks.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 AM
Invert Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukki View Post
Hi guys.

You all seem to have such amazing knowledge and I was suggested to come to this forum.

I'm quite a newbie to fish keeping and recently just got some shrimps. The last one that I got was a Sulawesi cardinal. He's been in my tank for a 10 days or so and seems happy.

I've been told that since I have ADA aqua soil in my tank it may not be ideal to sustain the little guy in there.

My question is, if my water was not ideal, would he have survived this far? i have had him for about 10 days now. Or will he just drop dead one day?

I really don't want to see him go as he's pretty much favourite thing in my tank.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Ps, feel free to check out my tank in my signature.

Thanks.

The first question are what are params for you tank?

PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
GH
KH
Temp
Size
Fauna

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Contact Jared at atyidae.com, he is in the UK and really obsessed with Sulawesi
How can i contact him i checked that site out but there dont seem to be a contact
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Invert Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Is malawa a Sulawesi species?

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yepper.

RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM
These pants? are fancy.

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Strange that I don't see Caridina pareparensis parvidentata on there. (?)

RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM
These pants? are fancy.

Because they aren't a lake shrimp they are river shrimp in Sulawesi, not from the lakes region.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode