Sulawesi shrimp guide *in progress* - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Planted Member

Thanks for putting this together. Definitely on my list of things to do at some point...

6g Fluval Edge journal
45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

when you say you must have crushed coral as a substrate, is that when using ro? What if water out of tap already comes out with a ph of 8.0-8.2?

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

you must have crushed coral. it keeps the PH stable.

If you have ph of 8.2 out of the tap 99 percent of the time your TDS is going to be too high for these shrimp 99 percent of the time. Ill update the post with TDS recommended levels tomorrow.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Planted Member

There are a lot of folks who use a neutral substrate and either treat the water before adding it or put crushed coral in the filter. One draw back to having crushed coral as a substrate is that you may have your TDS continue to increase. You can monitor this and set up a water change schedule to keep things in a specific range.

I have a couple Sulawesi tanks, one with crushed coral and one with inert gravel and sand. In my case, I treat RO water by putting it in a five gallon bucket with a layer of crushed coral. After a couple days, I have water at 8.2 pH with kH and gH at around 4. The TDS is around 150. The inert substrate keeps these parameters pretty stable. Top off is done with RO. The tank with the crushed coral gets a 10% water change every week and this keeps things stable. Ultimately, you need to decide what will work best for maintaining a uniform environment.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Dude, so like I heard there were a bunch of different types of Sulawesi? Like colors and stuff? Like what's the difference?
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
Dude, so like I heard there were a bunch of different types of Sulawesi? Like colors and stuff? Like what's the difference?
It's a blanket term for shrimp from Sulawesi. There are multiple species (close to a dozen I think?). I don't keep up much with them since I have little interest in them right now. Next year, sure. Now, no.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burks View Post
It's a blanket term for shrimp from Sulawesi. There are multiple species (close to a dozen I think?). I don't keep up much with them since I have little interest in them right now. Next year, sure. Now, no.
Oh, so when most people refer to Sulawesi now referring to like Cardinal species (red and white, I forget what they're called).
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cardinal is a species in the Sulawesi group of shrimp.

A Sulawesi Cardinal (Caridinia dennerli)
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
Oh, so when most people refer to Sulawesi now referring to like Cardinal species (red and white, I forget what they're called).
Well, that can be ONE of them they are referring to. It'd be like us saying "Asian Shrimp". Well, that could include Tigers, CRS, RCS (and all the varieties), and so on.

Here are some of the species coming from Sulawesi: http://www.guitarfish.org/2008/02/07...ulawesi-shrimp

Filstar Pimp #84
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Planted Member

Here are some links with info useful to folks wanting more info on shrimp from Sulawesi

Here are some good pictures of the Malili lakes and the shrimps natural habitat
( in Japanese)
http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia...anaomatano.htm
http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia-sulawesi-danao.htm
http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia...-danaoposo.htm
A photo journal of a collecting trip to Matano and Towuti (in German)
http://www.garnelenhaus.de/pageflip/...t-sulawesi.pdf
A thread in Arizona Inverts with the english translation! look down a couple of posts
http://arizonainverts.com/forums/ind...showtopic=1808
A scientific paper describing 8 species of Sulawesi shrimp and some notes on habitat
http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/57/57rbz343-452.pdf
I saw a post with a link to German site focused on diseases of shrimp and crayfish! Unbelievable! The German hobbyists are way ahead. Here is a link to the Google translated site:
http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG
For those interested, I did find a very useful paper that was recently published on Lake Matano water chemistry. Here is the link
http://aslo.org/lo/pdf/vol_53/issue_1/0319.pdf
If you can't open the file, do a google search on this title:
"The biogeochemistry of tropical lakes: A case study from Lake Matano, Indonesia"
In a nut shell - this is an ancient and stable lake. The upper water layers are clear and nutrient poor (oligotrophic). Low P, N and organic matter coupled with fairly high Chromium and Nickel concentrations. These metals may contribute to the low abundance of phytoplankton.
German site with a video of the Malili lakes showing the shrimp in their natural habitat. look about 1/2 way down the page
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...-Pvd_9ZLoeCg1Q
Water Parameters Towuti Lake - Harlequins, Redlines, Red Orchids, Yellow cheeks and many others are from here
Temperature average: 30 C
pH: 8.3
gH: 6
kH: 5-6
Conductivity: 181
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 2
Iron, Copper: 0
Water Parameters Mantano Lake - Where Cardinals are from
Temperature: 29.5 C
pH: 8.6
gH: 7
kH: 5
Conductivity: 227
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Iron, Copper: 0
Phosphate: 1
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just a thought here. I just a read a thread talking about how fresh clams cant survive with a filter on and prefer just a powerhead. Any chance these shrimp would have a higher chance of surviving in a set up with no filtration but a powerhead?

post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

good info bill, Ill edit that into the original post, giving you credit of course!

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Planted Member

I apologize if that post was over stepping. Your intention of creating a thread to get good info out there on these shrimp is a very great idea. I had compiled this for my local club and though it would be helpful.

I hope you are successfull in getting this to be a sticky - please feel free to edit the post as you see fit!

Bill
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

no Im glad you posted it! I had found that info about the specific lake water paramaters, but couldnt find what shrimp were from what lake so I just ommited and was hoping somebody would have that!

I found a third lake, lake poso. Any shrimp from there or is that the snail lake? (orange poso snail)

post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anyone ever think this is good for Sulawesi shrimp?? Eco-Complete African Cichlid SAND Substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode