Would you use these to remineralize your RODI water? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nubster
  • 1 Post By latchdan
  • 1 Post By Nubster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I set up a 2 gallon shrimp tank with 8 shrimps to start (4 SSS CBS and 4 Skyblue Neos). If it is successful, I will convert my 9 gallon Aquatop rimless into a shrimp tank.

The shrimps have been in the tank for 2 weeks now and haven't lost one yet. The CBS' shell does seem a bit paler with one's black turning a bit red. This latter symptom probably has more to do with it's genes?

Anyways, water TDS was around 65. I put in a drop of Tantora GH+ each time I do a WC. I put in 3 drops last night to raise TDS up to 75. And, am thinking it's going to be expensive to use Tantora GH+ to raise a larger tank's TDS up to the 120 range.

So, I was sorting through my boxes in my garage and found these from when I had a reef tank. Would you use these? I don't know whether they would be safe for a planted low tech shrimp tank. (not pictured, I also have a bottle of Seachem Equilibrium)

I've started researching other options and am leaning towards Brightwell's Remineraliz-P. But, the Seachem stuff is already in liquid form and Brightwell is in powder form. That's a plus for Seachem?

Anyways, let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Just want to mention I do have API gh and kh testers but having issues. Maybe they're old and have gond bad. Readings are wack. Color never changes.

after doing some more research, this seems to be a pretty bad idea and consensus is salty shrimp GH+

My journals: 60F - 60P - Aquatop Cube - 22G Long

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-03-2016 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Salty Shrimp is good stuff. It's clean so you don't get a lot of crud in there as well. I tried Kents RO Right and I had to raise my TDS up to around 300 to get the proper GH/KH. Salty Shrimp was about half the TDS to hit the same parameters.
etane likes this.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have equalibrium but found it cloudy i switched to salty shrimp and love it.
etane likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks guys salty it is. and need to get new testers. read they get old pretty quickly.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You might also want to look into SL-Aqua Blue Wizard. It's in liquid form, not powder. Discobee has it.

I have the Remineraliz-P, and it works... but it doesn't completely dissolve. This isn't a big issue for me, I just wanted to get something quickly and not order something in... and someone was selling a barely used container of it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Liquids get pricey though. The stuff you are using treats 250 gallons. A tub of Salty Shrimp treats over 4000 liters. Sames with ferts. But for some people...the high price is worth the convenience.

Last edited by Nubster; 08-03-2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: *@#&^$#@
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The liquid form might work for me cuz I am a lazy bastard who quit reefs mainly because I didn't want to deal with mixing salt anymore.

For my 9 gallon tank, I do maybe 80 gallons of water change a year. Then, the 250ml bottle of SL Aqua Blue would last me about 3 years. So, it wouldn't hurt me much cost wise.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah...my SaltyShrimp will last me about 20 years...lol...and is just as easy to use IMO. Once you know how much it takes to bump up a gallon or two to your desired TDS...you just measure that amount each time and do your water change. But to each their own. I don't know anything about that product so I can't personally recommend it. I know that SaltyShrimp is the go to for many people and has been for a number of years so it's well proven to be a quality product. Not to say the liquid isn't...I just don't know and haven't looked into it. I have so much SaltyShrimp still, I have no need or desire to research another product.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

True. Lack of user feedback is a big disconcerting. There's only two reviews on discobee's site.

I did buy the Tantora GH+ with only three user reviews on Amazon haha. It was an impulse buy. 60ml for $13.50 is only 8 months supply. So far, it seems pretty good. Only used a bit of it on my RODI water to raise tank water to 75. Shrimps all alive and molting successfully even at this low TDS.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah...if it works it works. Test your KH/GH when you get the new kit and see what it looks like at 75 TDS. If it's not too far off from ideal...I'd say it's good stuff as long as there isn't anything funky in there...which it doesn't sound like there is. Like I said above...my TDS was 300+ with Kents RO Right. Shrimp seemed ok but there's a lot of something in there that wasn't needed. I used very little of it and switched to SaltyShrimp and dropped my TDS in half.
etane likes this.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Finally got GH/KH test. Haven't done the KH yet but GH is right at 3 drops which is lower threshold where CRS is happy. That's after raising RO/DI water from 0 to 70 TDS. So, the Tantora seems to be good stuff.

Also got SL Blue Wizard and the shrimp tank plant fert from Discobee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode