• 1 Post By Smooch
  • 1 Post By theatermusic87
  • 1 Post By WaterLife
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 3 Post By Nubster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have some little white dots hopping and crawling along the glass, but I can't see them well enough to tell what they are. I was curious if some of you are familiar enough with baby shrimp to tell me if they are bugs or baby shrimp. I suspect they are bugs, but I don't know how small baby shrimp are either. I couldn't upload the video, so I uploaded it to YouTube and put the link here, I hope that's okay, and please tell me if I'm not supposed to. Thanks

https://youtu.be/1GsZ07EwS4s

I should have clarified, I'm not expecting anyone to tell me what they are, just if it is possible they could be baby cherry shrimp based on their size. If you watch full screen with the quality turned up, you should be able to see them. The best place to see them is towards the end of the video at the bottom of the tank, but still on the glass. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-27-2016 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got vertigo looking at your video. If you meant the white things that I saw on the glass, they looked like bugs. Baby shrimp look like tiny versions of the adults.
dsamhoward likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hahaha, sorry about that. Those little things were hard to catch on the camera due the the auto focus and light glare. Thanks for your input though.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

More than likely not babies, while the babies are small they aren't quite that small... That and they look identical to adults just minus the coloration
dsamhoward likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The little white bugs hopping around are Copepods. Harmless. You do have some berried females in there, so do expect miniature shrimp to be wandering around
dsamhoward likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They've been berried for a couple weeks, maybe less, so I have been anxiously watching and waiting. Those bugs came out of nowhere. I've dealt with all kinds of snails and some worms, but never the bugs. That's so cool how stuff just shows up. I haven't had any additions to the tank in months. I boiled some wood and soaked it outside over and over again for a couple weeks, I don't like the tannins. Maybe they came from the driftwood while soaking outside. I'll just siphon the water with the copepods into my tank with fish, they will probably love it. I'm glad they're harmless, but they drive me nuts. Thank you everyone for your comments.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 03:39 AM
Planted Member

This might not help, but a picture of baby shrimp (larger white/elongated dots) on glass. It looks like they've got some aquarium bugs and snails, too!

babyshrimp2.jpg Photo by badflash | Photobucket
dsamhoward likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Baby shrimp look like shrimp. Most of them do anyways.

Like already stated...copepods. Harmless. They actually make great food for fish if you have any in the tank.

Bump: This is a baby shrimp same day it hatched...

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode