The Planted Tank Forum banner

My berried RCS always die just before they hatch shrimp

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rookiiwoo 
#1 ·
So, I've had to buy numerous groups of shrimps over the past few months because every single time there is a berried female, and she is about to 'hatch' the eggs, I find her dead in the tank. It never fails. I don't understand. The tank is perfectly healthy and none of them die unless they're about to drop. Also, it's heavily planted and has one of those shrimp tubes (recently added).

Tank stock:
12 cherry shrimp (now 10)
4 Otos (fed zuchinni and vege wafers)
2 Assassin Snails (getting rid of my snail infestation)
8 Pygmy Rasboras

I do have an issue with blackbeard algae. I bought two siamese algae eaters but they jumped out and died.

Every week I dose 1mm of Flourish Excel
I change water 30-40% every week and a half
Tank is a Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What are your water parameters? (pH, GH, KH, Temperature, TDS)

Shrimp can be sensitive to larger sized water changes, so you will find many people advising only 10-20% water changes.
Some have bad experience with dosing Excel with shrimp. Some have no issues, but some say they do.
It could be a collection of minor stressors, adding up and causing the berried female to stress out and keel over.

#4 ·
PH is 6.8, temperature automatically sits around 76. I don't have a test kit for the other parameters.
I've never heard of an egg tumbler? I was aware you can hatch eggs by separating them and that whole process but I'm not up for continuously monitoring eggs due D:

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.