The Planted Tank Forum banner

1.5 gallon invert tank opinions

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  californiashrimp 
#1 ·
I have an extra 1.5 gallon tank sitting around that is empty of any life. It has gravel as substrate, HOB filter for up to 10 gallons and no lighting. I have 2 other tanks...a 10 gallon community fresh water and a 55 gallon salt water. So I would like this small tank to be a fresh water invert tank. I would like something unique. Like maybe a community of dwarf frogs...can they reproduce? Maybe a shrimp tank...which type? I kept ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon with no luck of survival. Would a blue lobster be a good choice? I would really like this tank to thrive so any info I can get or opinions would be helpful. Would I need to get a light and a heater? Would a heater be necessary?

#3 ·
Shrimp tank for the win. I just started my little 10g nano (you can see it here) with orange and red cherry shrimp. I plan to put some blue rili and some yellow shrimp in there as well. If you are looking for something unqiue maybe try chocolate shrimp, carbon rili, or they have a new red/blue rili shrimp ive seen on aquabid.com Need a heater and a light, because you should put some low light hardy plants in there, which the shrimp will love to clean. Heater can be a small 50 Watt, shrimp like 72-75 degrees in my opinion.

What else was in the 10g with the shrimp? Were you feeding them shrimp food?

#5 ·
I don't think you'll need a heater for cherry shrimp. Hi surface area plants are nice, like moss or subwassertang. I'm assuming you'll need some kind of light so you'll be able to see your shrimp, but you don't need anything special. IME shrimp also like a moss ball that's been 'unfolded' and smooshed flattish, which would probably look like gentle hills in that size tank.

#6 ·
Okay so let's say I will move forward with the cherry shrimp tank. Should I swap to a sponge filter? Exactly what type of plants should I get and how many? How many shrimp would be allowed? What type of inexpensive light would work? Would a desktop light work? Also what do they eat?

#8 ·
Im running a regular hob filter, however, I put a filter sponge on the intake to protect the shrimp and any eggs that may come down the road. You can do any hardy low light plants, id start with two and see how those do in your tank.

I would search for "nano tank lights" on google and do some research. Youll find something you like. I wouldnt use a desktop light though. They eat algae, fish food and shrimp food. Theyll have shrimp food at your LFS or online.

Hope this helps! Heres a pick of the sponge i put on the filter. Top right.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.