The Planted Tank Forum banner

Baby ghosts

858 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  WaterLife 
#1 ·

The mother started kicking them off this morning!

It's been about 12 hours tho. She kicked 6 out this morning & then stopped & still has 6+ tucked away.. Is this normal?

I grated some hard boiled egg yolk in there. Any tips would be awesome! They all seem healthy.. I made a tiny bubbler filter with a piece of half inch pvc & some foam.. That & the egg yolk is the extent if my knowledge. But I know I should remove the mother after she's kicked the rest off tomorrow(hopefully).

Edit>> they're in a small cylinder glass bowl that holds probably a little over a half gallon

See less See more
#4 ·
Aren't Nematodes worms?

Ghost shrimp are a lower order shrimp and so their offspring do start off in the larval stage, which the pic does look like, although it does look older than the OP has said (the larvae look to be at a more developed stage, but I could be wrong as I don't remember how long the larval stage progresses over).

Congrats though!

#7 ·
HAHAH they definitely came out of the momma shrimp! I'll get some better shots, they came out about 2 or 3 mm long there were 9, there's 7 left that seem to be doing well! A few of then have already shed for the first time, in guessing that means they're out of their larval stage... They were sold as "ghost shrimp", but I've read a few things saying that's just a blanket term for a bunch of different types of clear shrimp, so no way of knowing exactly what species they are I guess.

I'll post some update pics in a bit once I check on them for the night.

Also I've been feeding them a pinch of active yeast(for baking) & they seem to like it(I see then stumble upon a morsel here & there & they latch onto it & break it up) & it's wayyyyy less messy than egg yolk! Also I added a bit of aquarium salt, idk why.. I just felt like it might help & it didn't seem to hurt, so yeah..

EDIT>>
Heres the best I could do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.