The Planted Tank Forum banner

WANTED: Your best Hagen CO2 recipes!

62K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  RWaters 
#1 ·
I am looking for the best DIY recipes for the Hagen CO2 unit.

I was reading a couple of past threads, and while the discussion was about the Hagen unit, the recipes always seemed to revert back to the 2l bottle. The Hagen canister is no where near 2l, so those recipes don't translate easily! We have so many resourceful and experienced people on this board, I am sure a great recipe is out there!

I am asking the DIYers to post their best Hagen CO2 unit recipes! If recipe proportions need to be different because of different types of yeasts (bread, wine, beer or champagne) post them!

Mike

#4 ·
Im using some hard plastic lemon juice bottles similar in size to my hagen unit, i too would like a good recipe. Seems they go strong @ 14 bpm for about 7 days then drop drastically to 3-4bpm. thanks!

#5 ·
amanda huggenkiss said:
I fill sugar up to the line indicated in the Hagen canister, add 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, and then fill water up to the top line. Recipe courtesy of anonapersona :proud:
That is what I use :p

#7 ·
I use the Hagen ladder with a 2l bottle. Does it count?
NO! ;) LOL! Just joking MPD!

I am looking for a recipe with proportions that anyone can use in conjunction with the Hagen System as it is. The refill packets are expensive, and they often seem not to work. I am hoping to get a few recipes for myself and the rest of our members.

So far we have Anonapersona's recipe:
When I refill the Hagen canister, I fill it to the line inside with sugar and then to the top line with water, then add 1/4 teaspoon Fleischman's yeast, regular I guess, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
With the additional information that adding baking soda to brewers yeast or wine yeast may make those mixtures less effective.

Mike

#10 ·
Maybe yes, maybe no

Even with semi hard water, it still may be useful to try it both ways. Try it once with the teaspoon of baking soda and once without. I found that at the two week mark, the tank with baking soda (started at the same time, same recipe, same size tank) had twice the bubble rate as the tank with no baking soda.

But, the sort of yeast used does seem to make a difference. I found that bread yeast seems to like baking soda and wine and beer yeast did not. My water is GH 10, KH 8ish, mostly calcium, not much magnesium.

#12 ·
If got a small container of buffer left over from the days when I had a fish tank. My pH is about 9.4 and I've got up to one mg/l of chloramine in my tap water. I need to get a DIY set-up going with my new 10-gallon tank and I thought about adding the buffer and some Aquasafe in the water before I put the little beasties in there to do their thing.

Anybody ever use that stuff?

#13 ·
I tried Anona's recipe. I am using Champagne yeast in my Hagen system, and using the suggested amounts of sugar and water.

The CO2 is flowing, and flowing and flowing! What a difference! I actually need to monitor the CO2 output for fear of crashing the pH!

So far, so good!

Mike

#16 ·
I have a hagen and measured out what comes stock in the expensive little packets. Its 1 tsp of baking soda and 1/8 or 1/4 tsp of yeast, I cant remember now. Anyways I uses sugar to the line, 1 tsp of baking soda and 1/8 to 1/4 of Red Star active dry yeast. This produces pretty good results. sometimes it is a unpredictable as to how much co2 comes out. I am going to put a little plastic air regulater in the line so if to much comes out I wont have a problem. Has anyone had a problem with the nutrafin packets in use smelling like death? Mine did once, it was a terrible awful smell. I have got a recipe for a 2l bottle if it could help anyone: 2 cups of sugar 1 tsp and 1/4 tsp of yeast.

#17 ·
I just recently used up my last batch of Hagen packets (they came with the kit) and so I decided to try DIY for the first time via anonapersona's recipe and I have to say I am amazed at how much more CO2 I'm getting! I barely put any baking soda in there because I have hard water and I'm getting about 16-18 bpm. Every step has at least two bubbles all the time and it's been running for a week now!

#18 ·
I've got a Hagen Co2 Unit, and followed Anona's recipe until recently.
It never lasted me very long (1 week), so I thought I'd experiment.

I boiled 8 cups of water, and gradually added sugar cup by cup.

I managed to pack 6 cups of sugar in there, and then let about
half a cup of water boil off. After cooling to room temp, I put
the sugary water (more like syrup) into my hagen unit, added the
recommended dose of yeast and baking soda and....

Nothing. I think the consistancy of the sugar-water didn't allow
for the yeast to "mingle with it". Lesson learned, I guess.

On a second note though, I diluted the mixture some (1:1), and it
seems to be producing fine. Not very strong though. I'll be sure to do
some experimenting tonight.

Later!

JB

#20 ·
What do you think is in those two hagen packets? Its Yeast and Bicarbonate of Soda! Geezs

I use sugar to the line, a teaspoon of bakers yeast and one of bicarbonate.

MIX sugar with bicarbonate of soda to a 12:1 ratio and store in in a jar then when its done just use that. Use water of around 30C ,too hot will kill the yeast, too cold and it wont start. Good Luck

#21 ·
I have two units in my Juwel Rio 125. I use supermarket yeast (activator) and bi-carbonate of soda (stabiliser). They're much cheaper and it allows me to increase the co2 output by adding more yeast. I change the solution every 14-20 days and have acheived wonderful results. I use nearly half teaspoon of yeast, level teaspoon of bicarb, fill just over the line with sugar and over the line with water (slightly warmer than tepid which gets the bubbles started much quicker). The bubbles are flowing normally after 2 hours, max flow after 3 days, constant for about 10 days then slowly dwindling after 14. I change the mixture when there are 3 bubbles or less in the diffuser. HTH

#22 ·
I found this on another forum and the person who submitted it got pooh-poohed a little, but I decided to try it anyway. It's working for me.

Use lightly packed dark brown sugar instead of white sugar in the recipe that most of us seem to be using. I've no doubt I will need to redo much more often, but after a week I'm still getting a bubble every 2-3 seconds. This is more like what I was getting during the summer when the house was warmer. Now that it's cooled off, I was only getting a bubble every 7-9 seconds with the white sugar. My plants have really perked back up.

Cheryl H

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.