The Planted Tank Forum banner

2 best store in utah, hands down

41K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  Cokeman 
#1 ·
Well if there are any utahns here besides me you know the utter lack of decent fish stores in the area. Your best options are in the greater slc area and are Fish-4-U, my personal favorite for everything tropical and have an awesome supply of salt water fish, yet the coral selection is limited. Also a decent supply of freshwater plants and driftwood! which is nice. THey have a decent selection of cichilds however if your in the market for those you should check out Mark's Arc, which has teh best selection of cichilds you'll find in the area!
Happy fishing.

#3 ·
A new store just opened in Sandy actually, which is now the best fish store in the valley. The name of the store is The Aquarium, its on 700 E andaround 9200 S. There is no comparision between this store and the above two stores, it has to be seen to be believed. its probably larger in terms of floor area than both above stores combined. They have an awesome selection of freshwater fauna and flora and their saltwater collection is mindblowing. Every tank is cleaned and maintained and no trace of alage on any of the tanks and their prices are very reasonable. And they have the most knowledgable staff that I have ever encountered in a pet store. Definitely blows the competition (if one could call them that) out of the water.

#4 ·
The Aquarium

I just went to the Aquarium today, and the selection of fish is good, especially Salt water fish. I suffered from sticker shock on just about everything, however. They also didn't seem to have a lot as far as planted aquariums go. I was also dissapointed that they didn't have any freshwater shrimp besides the ghost shrimp in the "feeder" section. So I guess I would say it is one of the best I have seen, but left a lot to be desired. I don't think I will be going back. Pet Smart is just a few blocks away and has a better selection, and tons better prices. Just my .02.

#5 ·
I checked out "The Aquarium" a few months ago when I was looking for some common plants. Every plant they had was pretty much eaten to the roots because someone decided to place the snails in with them. I really liked the selection I would have had, but I don’t think I would say they have the most knowledgeable staff.

#6 ·
The Aquarium

Simply put The Aquarium has EXCELENT ADVICE and a nice show room for all it's highly over priced product... I always go to the Aquarium for advice and generally nothing more than that because I can find everything they have cheaper at Fish-4-U. Fish four u has good advice as well but becuase they are so far away I generally only go there when I need some more plants or ferts.

#7 ·
for me i like the classic aquatica, there is a new one down in orem, and i get every plant from there, they have an amazing owner, and the place looks sooo clean!!

and its sad that i work at petsmart and get 15% off of my fish supplys and i rather buy them at aquatica!

#8 ·
Fish 4 U has been doing a lot of upgrades recently, or "evolution" as they say...

Their plant selection has increased significantly and quality has gone up as well. They are also beginning to have more rare and exotic plants. It looks like planted tanks are back on the map in Utah!

#9 ·
I live about 2 blocks from Fish 4 U and love that store. I'm in there almost every day. Their Aquatics Anonymous club is awesome too. become a member for free and get 10% off or 10% store credit on everything you buy except tanks and stands (but the store credit fro other purchases can go to tanks and stands)

Edit: Had to enter my opinion on The Aquarium

My daughter absolutely loved their giant waterfall and the store is gorgeous and well stocked, but the prices are too high and the store is too far. I'd only go there for something I couldn't find anywhere closer.

#12 ·
For all you UT folks, I uwanted to introduce the new aquatic plant club, NACU (Nature Aquarium Club of Utah). Click here for a link for more info.

If any of you Utah folks are still here, the above link is a dead one. Anything recent going on as far as clubs? Any updated news or reviews on shops?

I just wish we had something closer to Ogden. I get tired of driving to Salt Lake just to dream shop lol

#11 ·
Recently a new aquatics store has opened up in Salt lake/Draper area called-

T.F.W (Tropical Fish Wholesale)
Open Mon-Fri 12:00noon-6:00pm, and Saturday 10:00-6:00pm.
Location- 700 East 12270 South
Draper, Ut,84020
In between the Flowerama & U-haul
#801-571-8500

I stopped by there the other day and was impressed with the selection in fish and plants (one of the only places I've seen in Utah with healthy Madagascar laces). The prices where very good as well. Though it wasn't the most decretive pet stores it certainly has got it where it counts.

BB

#18 ·
My opinion on stores

For plants I really like Animal Ark in Orem like mentioned above. I also work at Petsmart and will never buy plants there again. And I am limited on what fish I want to get there just because we've had the same ones forever and I get bored with them.

I really like Fish-4-U because the owner is ridiculously intelligent and knowledgeable about almost everything. That's where I went first when I got started with my first planted tank last year.

I haven't been to The Aquarium but I might be going today. I want to see what they know about plants and what they have.

Animal Ark in American Fork sucks! The employee's barely know anything.

I'm not into Salt Water yet but Aquatica and Reef Runners are pretty awesome. I love going in there just to look around. I also get moss from Aquatica and my Reverse Osmosis water for my tanks.

That's my opinion on stores here. I haven't ever visited others.

Those

#21 ·
This needs an update. If you are going for Cichlids you definitely go to the Fishhub, Allred cichlids, TropicalFishWholesale and if you really want some good tanganyika Cichlids at wholesale price you go to Bob Allen in Salem if you know anything about Tanganyika fish. If you don't know Bob then you're probably out of the loop.

#26 ·
Aquatica is gone, another store came and went in its place called Exotic Reef. Reef Runners is still here in Orem and has good marine selection. Animal Ark in Orem has good stuff. They also started carrying Fennix LED fixtures. The owner of Aquatica started a new shop on the west side of the freeway off of Center Street, called Aquarium Evolution, another marine shop. Those are the shops that I am aware of in the Orem area.

#29 ·
Just continuing to update this........Exotic Reef closed. Now in the Orem area the best place by far is Animal Ark, they carry the new Finnex Planted Plus. They always have a display tank that look awesome! I could spend a lot of money there.
To edit my previous post......the store just west of the freeway on Center Street is called Aquatic Evolution, not Aquarium...(sorry about that) but they are a marine only shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.