The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low Light Planted Tank lighting

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  el Caspar 
#1 ·
Hello People.

So I am well on my way to starting my new planted tank. I am going with a low light system with eco-complete substrate and the plant growth tablets to assist in the plant growth.

I am still waiting for for my ordered t5 light and then I will strt the process of collecting live plants.

What I need some help with is understanding exactly how much time the plants need to have the light on per day? Given the location of this tank, its not going to get any direct sunlight, so the tank light will need to be the source of growth. Can someone recommend a lighting schenme? Should i purchase a timer to ensure the tank gets the appropriate amount of daily lighting?

Any comments welcome.

#2 ·
Depends on how big your tank is and how strong your lights are. Generally in a lowlight low tech tank, 8 to 10 hours on, is recommended. There is a watt per gallon rule (guideline) that says 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon is appropriate low light for plants. If you have your light on, your plants will be photosynthesizing and using up nutrients and co2. When off your plants are at rest. More light= harder working plants (growth etc..)
Hope that helps.

Timers are an excellnt way to ensure that your planted tank gets a constant stable light cycle which is best for happy plants and fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.