How to get rid of raccoons - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down How to get rid of raccoons

I would like to know some permanent methods to get rid of raccoons? There are some raccoons in my neighbor's attic and garage and they are doing nothing to remove them. They have been seen during daytime although most frequently are out at dusk and night. They love animals and doesn't want to harm the coon's! But the problem is, now they have started invading our garden to. I'm afraid that they may attack our kitten and love birds. I would like to know about some good wild life removal services in Canada or UK. Remove the wild is a suggestion by my wife. Any more choices ? Is there a law in Canada not to kill them?

God is love

Last edited by crawfordhugh65; 05-20-2016 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Typo error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Trapping, then removal to a far away location. (Many miles)

Waiting until they are ALL out of the building then closing up the entrance.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The major issue here is your neighbors being far too comfortable with having wildlife living in their house. I love all animals, even the ones that are considered pests. I agree with Diana about moving them but the problem I see is once the raccoons are out of the scene, there is a high chance that either more will move in or something else will. Your neighbor would have to block all access points to make sure that nothing else can move in.

Are you friendly enough with your neighbor to approach them with this situation? I don't really think you should even have to do that, but sometimes people need a mental goose.

I'm in the US so I don't know what kind of critter control options you have in terms of protecting your garden. Here we have powders that can be put down to motion detectors that use a 9 volt battery with a couple cups of water that spray the animals. I was poking around yesterday looking at the motion detector option as my neighbors cat likes to use our gardens as a litter box.

The only other thing I can think of which again shouldn't even be your issue is to make sure that there is nothing around to draw them in. If there is any kind of food around that will bring them in. I feed the wild birds, chipmunks, squirrels, wild rabbits, ect... in our back yard and every so often we have a raccoon that comes in to graze. This happens mostly during the winter, but they like suet as it is high in fat. If they are hungry enough, they will eat seed but they prefer suet. They're also smart and can pop the lids to our trash cans, so using something like a bungee cord keeps them out of the trash. If for whatever reason they decide to chew through the bungee cords they are going to get smacked in the face which they won't like.

I lied, I do have one more thing. If you have any type of wildlife rescue places around, you could also try giving them a call. They may relocate them, but again, if the neighbor does nothing to actually fix the problem there will probably be a similar situation at some point.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Coyote Urine!
https://www.predatorpee.com/

It really works!

Buces! Beeces!
I want my Buce to grow gold leaves for Easter . . .
At least a hundred a day . . .
And by the way . . .

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Be very careful around racoons. I saw one jump on a man's head and rip him up so bad he was in the hospital for a week. If you corner them, they will fight ferociously.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:58 AM
Planted Member

Hi,
I used ammonia with rags tied up like a ball (about the size of a tennis ball). I soaked the "rag balls" in ammonia, placed them around the area. The "coons" hated it and never came back
I may have just been lucky, but it worked!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode