The Planted Tank Information
General Planted Tank Forums
General Planted Tank Discussion
Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions
Low Tech Forum
Planted Nano Tanks
Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank
Fertilizers and Water Parameters
Shrimp & Other Invertebrates
The Lounge & Introductions
Home Page News
ACUREL Aquarium and Pond Care
Aqua Forest Aquarium
Aqua Lab Aquaria
Aquatek of California
AQUATOP Aquatic Supplies - Planted Aquaria
Current-USA and Ecoxotic
Green Leaf Aquariums
The Planted Tank Forum
DIY bubble counter
View Single Post
05-15-2009, 03:02 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
DIY bubble counter
So I got really tired of staring at my large bubble counters next to my fish tank and decided to start a DIY bubble counter project that attached directly to the two liter bottles.
This is how my old one looked
Anyway, here is a list of things needed for the project. I just found things lying around that I have no use for. Of course you can improvise to fit your needs!
Tubing from my old UGF and
2 caps and Teflon Tape and
Dr. Foster Check Valve
First, you will need to drill holes in both bottle caps.
On the bottom cap, glue the bubble counter to the hole, using a rubber band to hold it in place. Output side up!
I divided the tubing of my old under gravel filter into three segments, fitting the caps of my three 2 liter bottles. I used silicone adhesive to connect the tube to the top of the cap.
My weapon of choice was a 3 head torch
After softening the tips it was much easier to have it leveled with the cap, rather than have a tilted bubble counter.
While that was sitting to dry, I worked on the top half. I used the hard airline tubing and glued it to the top bottle cap. While that is drying, fill the bottom half with water to whatever level is pleasing to you. I then filled the lining of the bottle cap with silicone and placed it cozily onto the UGF tube, again with the help of the torch! After that, I ran an air pump to the bottom cap, through the check valve, to check for leaks afterwards. I submerged the entire thing and plugged the top hole with my finger while still having the air pump running.
If there are any leaks, use silicone on the exterior parts of the bottle caps (both the base and the tip). The Teflon tape is just to make the silicone look pretty after it is dried, and, of course, to hold everything tight in place while it is drying.
Here is the end result, in my backyard drying in the warm weather. I’ll post pictures (maybe videos) of it after, doing its job.
i guess this could be inline..but i decided to make both caps face the same way, so basically my bubble counter is screwed onto the bottle
itzjustjeff is offline
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by itzjustjeff
-- PlantedTank.net (Full - Original)
---- PlantedTank.net (Full - Light)
-- PlantedTank.net (Classic)
-- PlantedTank.net (Mobile)
Acceptable Use Policy
The Planted Tank
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to