The Planted Tank Forum banner

Wisconsinites - question for you

7K views 60 replies 16 participants last post by  RipariumGuy 
#1 ·
There seems to be a few of us around, I know there are a few groups around, but would anyone here be interested in trying to start something up?

#2 ·
Count me in! Check out the "WI LFS's" thread. Me and Defiesexistance talked about starting a WAGA: WI Aquatic Plant Association for a while.

#4 ·
Helloez? Any bodys?

#7 ·
I would join anyway even if it was not free. A yearly $15 or so fee is not asking too much.

Come on people! 61 views? And no commenting? :thumbsdow

#8 ·
^ Wisconsin is filled with cheap people like ourselves and it would encourage people to join, and they could donate a couple of bucks for paper, etc if they wanted. A cheap membership could do the same, and we wouldn't need donations. Funds would be strictly for the running of the club.

C'mon people, at meetings, if we get enough people, I will make some killer cupcakes. Have you ever had a dark beer cupcake with dried cherries, raisins, and cranberries with triple chocolate/vanilla frosting? Or mint chocolate, with a fudge frosting? JOIN. :hihi:

Even if you don't want to join, ideas are appreciated. Dzydvl, some of your ideas would be great. You did start the thread, and I sense we are taking over here.

#10 ·
Here would be my idea:

Name: WAGA = Wisconsin Aquatic Gardeners Acc.

Mettings
Two meetings (one in Madison other in Green Bay or?) once a month at LFS, public area, members house ETC. Preferably LFS or public area.

Other Things
Website/blog with LFS reviews, dates of meetings, news, ETC. Forum as well?
Monthly newsletter via email with swap and shop section, articles, news, (LFS news?) ETC.
Yearly/Biyearly plant swap/auction
Feild trips

#11 ·
You have many aquarists in the Milwaukee area. Madison is still far away for them. A central place would be nice, or the ability to Skype, or something. Switching at LFS and homes around the state are also plausible. 2 meetings are also good.

We are at 4 people so far, with another possible. And whoever is lurking and maybe wants to join.

#12 ·
Madison actually already has a planted aquarium group that meets monthly during the school year. Google "Madison Aquarium Gardeners Club"

One thought: Starting with an already-existing local aquarium club and trying to get them to have talks/articles etc emphasizing planted aquariums may be easier to get going.

#13 · (Edited)
plants

Just a Dude
As for the Milwaukee area thats were Im orginally from just up in the middle of no where in superior for college. In milwaukee they have the MAS but there still should be people who would want to make a plant group unless that has been put into play already.

Though an online groups sounds good to me since theres no fish clubs (Only bars and I mean a ton) in superior. Ones in MN but 3hrs away. skype is another way to do meetings and as for swaps we could mail each other plants to each other they should arrive alive since shipping is not far.

Cory

#14 ·
^Not bad, but if we had a meeting in Milwaukee, there would be no reason to skype if you lived around the area. Also thankful that you brought local shipping out; it's probably cheaper too.

Ah, this thread is alive, and I smile.

#15 ·
^Not bad, but if we had a meeting in Milwaukee, there would be no reason to skype if you lived around the area. Also thankful that you brought local shipping out; it's probably cheaper too.

Ah, this thread is alive, and I smile.

If there was a meeting in Milwaukee I would not be able to go i live 7hrs away from milwaukee now. So Skype would work for me. The shipping of plants would be a way to share with other members and spreads some plants that are not seen or just to share. Not saying I have any rare plants yet but if I did I would share, guess I better work on that.

#16 ·
Just a suggestion, because Milwaukee is WI's largest city, thus more fish geeks.

And it wouldn't be just one meeting in just Milwaukee, but it would be nice to have one in Milwaukee.

Just my logic though, and it can be twisted. Most of the time :D

#17 ·
Skype would be a great idea. We would just need to find someone with a good laptop and if possible a video camera. (You can use a normal cam' when Skyping, right?)

#18 ·
I know you can have the obvious webcam, but you would need some cords to stream it direct to the computer, and thus to skype, no? Or can that not be done?

#19 ·
:iamwithst (Just erase the "stupid" part.)

I think first we should talk with the Madison group. Maybe see if they would be willing to expand a bit or join with our group(?). Also, we need to start spreading the word as LFS, forums, everywhere!

#20 · (Edited)
You could have left the stupid on the sign: I'm in a ridiculous airhead stage. Anyhow, you made me laugh, thanks :D (and I don't really know if that skype thing can be done, it was just an uneducated guess)

We should get some more details finalized, and get feedback for an official name (should we make a poll, and people add their suggestions, -otherwise it'll just be Jake and I bouncing the same names off each other-?). Anyone know how to contact Madison?

#21 ·
#24 ·
Not sure what to say. I like the idea of a group but without a bunch of people in the same area it may or may not work. Let's just say I'm not to keen on spending 40 bucks in fuel just to attend a meeting. I live in Oshkosh so to drive down to Mil or up to GB would mean at least 30 in fuel for my truck. I know people have different vehicles but think about the expenses that people may not be willing to put their money towards just to hear and talk about fish when they can come on a forum like this for next to nothing. Never dealt with Skype so I have no idea how that works.

Not trying to be debbie downer, just another view on the topic.

#25 · (Edited)
And I do thank you for your view; it lets us know what people are thinking. It's what I've been trying to stimulate :hihi: I'm also still for switching meetings around. I think it's a great idea; WI is a big state for a relatively little group of fish crazies to meet in. There'd probably be more meetings in cities though. If it's what the people want, they'll join. If not, there's no members.

Jake has thoughts?

#26 ·
Hey I enjoy long drives as much as anyone, hence why I drive to Nebraska every ear to hunt. I also drive a lot for work. At least when it's for work, they pay for it instead of me!

Sidetrack, any good LFS' in Madison area? I'll be working there the next three weeks.
Thanks!

#27 · (Edited)
I'd consider joining, fee or no fee. Be nice to meet some people. But I'm not too big into planted tanks at the moment. I've got one up still though. Everyone's favorite enclosure so what the hay.

Bnbfishin - I'd go to Living Art Aquarium, but I think it may be under new management. Its not as nice :S The plants look pretty bad IMHO, lotsa algae too. But I got some nice cambomba and wysteria which is doing great. It was at its prime when I believe his name was "Craig" was working there, the monotoned guy who knew his stuff :p

EDIT: Suscribed

#28 ·
Thanks for the info Lil'! I'll check out the phone book at the hotel when I check in and see what is in the area.
I'd consider joining, fee or no fee. Be nice to meet some people. But I'm not too big into planted tanks at the moment. I've got one up still though. Everyone's favorite enclosure so what the hay.

Bnbfishin - I'd go to Living Art Aquarium, but I think it may be under new management. Its not as nice :S The plants look pretty bad IMHO, lotsa algae too. But I got some nice cambomba and wysteria which is doing great. It was at its prime when I believe his name was "Craig" was working there, the monotoned guy who knew his stuff :p

EDIT: Suscribed

#31 ·
That is do able I would think. Someone should contact the Madison group and see what they think. Maybe they could be the southern group and we could create a new northern one? Hydrophtye (a Madisonian) is a part of it I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.