The Planted Tank Forum banner

Wisconsinites - question for you

7K views 60 replies 16 participants last post by  RipariumGuy 
#1 ·
There seems to be a few of us around, I know there are a few groups around, but would anyone here be interested in trying to start something up?

#33 ·
If you decide to have your club in the Kenosha/Milwaukee area, I would not mind the drive from Gurnee, IL if I would be welcome? I would love to get more involved in the plant world to go along with my discus.

I want to know everything about aquarium plants and how take care of them from the experts opions.

#34 ·
Yeah, Gurnee's not too far away, maybe hour and a half at most. If it's convenient for you, why not?

And we most certainly are not experts, but we are learning :icon_wink Right now, we can only make the tiniest scratch in the surface.

#35 ·
I think we should shoot for about 25 members state wide before we can really get things going. How many do we have so far?

#38 ·
That's great that you guys are forming a union. How nice of your governor to allow that. :D
:icon_neut Lets not take this the political route. Please.

#39 ·
I'd like to dub this a politically neutral club, if you all don't mind. Means we stay out of it, no opinions one way or the other, no endorsement of political ideas/candidates/bills/etc. Fish and politics are simply separate. Agreement?

#40 ·
:proud:

Any ideas on how to spread the idea of a club around?

#42 ·
^ Sorry! I'm not bashing you, but similar items would come up in the future anyhow, so better to address it now, and have 'an ounce of prevention'. I was meaning to say something about neutrality before; I should have already. Again, my apologies.

Jake, do you want me to ask on APC about whether Wisconsin wants a club? And maybe print out a small sheet with (the club's) email on it (leave it at fish stores) to see if people in WI would be interested in a club? (I think that no matter what we do, it'll be small to start, and it'll be easier to recruit if we actually have a club going on than take a sort of poll about whether people would be interested to join)

#43 ·
Sure! I am a member there as well, so I could probably help out. I am leaving TPT soon, so I will not be able to talk about this here. I agree that we will have to start small. Not sure how we are going to go about our first meeting if we are so spread apart. I know that I will not be able to drive far, as I don't have a car or a license. (Yet!)

#45 ·
Hey, welcome to TPT, DMent! Fancy meetin' you here :hihi:

You just stick in ideas whenever. I'm a believer in bouncing ideas off one another until something works, and works well, and fresh input is a big help. Any rational ideas will be considered, logic helps, along with any useful tidbits of information (like right now, we're looking at legalities. You can suggest names too)

#46 ·
Thank you for the welcome. Should I reply here or on APC? A while ago (back when I was in college), a few friends and I started up the Champaign Area Fish Exchange (CAFE) in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. I would imagine that things are a bit different nowadays, but the experiences may help somehow (hopefully).

#47 ·
APC's where the party transferred to, but feel free to keep this alive as well. Whichever you want.

Goodness, you're more experience than we do :eek: So you'd swap fish and plants with your college buddies, and the organization is still around today? NICE.

#49 ·
#51 ·
FIRST MEETING TODAY!! Well, it isn't that big of a meeting, just a little group of us at the Central Library in Green Bay smoothing out a few bumps. We meet at two, so come if you can!

#53 ·
I know that when I was first starting in the hobby again, I cruised craigslist like mad for tank stuff, free fish, ect..

Posting to the local pet pages might get you guys a larger base.
Ahhh! Hadn't thought of that! Only forums and such. I'll look into it. Thanks!

#54 ·
I sent out a PM/Email to everybody interested in WAGAS. Let's get this thing going guys!

#56 ·
It kind of fell apart over the summer... Things got busy for me and the other person trying to set this up and we lost contact. I've tried sending a message to him about this again, but got no response.

Maybe if we just said people come to this place and such and such a time to hang out and talk, and trade plant trimmings?

#60 ·
I know nothing yet but I have googled the fish stores and there seems to be a few decent stores there. I know aquatics unlimited is a big store there and I have heard good things. I may be checking out some places when I take a trip there tomorrow so if I find any great things out I can update you. In terms of needing most things, however, you can find them in swap n shop on this site or online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.