Favorite LFS in the Seattle area? - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
SeattleFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 150
Favorite LFS in the Seattle area?

So Im starting my first planted tank (Biocube 14) after years of no tanks and then before that a reef tank so my freshwater experience is limited.

I know the Seattle area well but I'm not familiar with all the LFS around. I live close to The Fish Store and went in there the other day. Great selection of plants and fish from what I could tell. Other than that my father in law used to go to the ID to Lims(spelling?) and said that was always fun.

So the question is... Where are the best LFS around Seattle?

Or if there are any amazing shops in the greater PNW I want to know too.

I did sign up to the airstone email list tonight so that should help me out too. Too bad I just missed the auction!
SeattleFishGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 AM
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,997
Lims is tiny, and very dirty, and he doesn't have many fish... In fact... last time I was there it seemed like more of a hang out for old men than it did a fish store, haha.

Kings discus is OK, that's a few blocks east of lims on King street.

Fishaholics is small, but has some more niche-y stuff like shrimp and rarer plants (as well as planted tank stuff)

Midway tropical fish and pets in midway is a cool shop, nice people working there, and is always busy when I make deliveries to them.

Dennys pet store in kirkland is good, a little pricey, but have a great FW fish selection, and once in a while have cultured plants.

Pet-pourri in everett used to be good, but they recently cut their store in half, and it seems like they've been getting rid of more and more stock tanks. I was there on Saturday and it was a ghost town.

that's my rundown, hah
mordalphus is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,688
Hi SeattleFishGuy,

I just got back from the GSAS Board Meetings and saw your post. The Fish Store is definitely one of the best LFS in the Seattle area with typically a good selection of fish and healthy plants; several GSAS members sell their extra fish and plants there. In addition there is Denny's Pet World in Totem Lake, A Place for Pets in Burien, and Sierra Fish and Pets in Renton. All typically have interesting fish and plants you will not find in the "big box" stores.

If you are interested in a 'road trip' a one of the best stores in the Northwest is The Wet Spot in Portland, especially for unusual fish species. While you are down there check out A World of Wet Pets.

I hope you can make our GSAS meeting on March 13th, Dick Au is up from the San Francisco area and doing a presentation "Raising Fish for Fun and Profit" and it should be great. I too came back to the hobby after a long sabbatical; some things have changed but the basics are still the same. I hope to see you there; just ask for Roy!

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Seattle_Aquarist is online now  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
SeattleFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Lims is tiny, and very dirty, and he doesn't have many fish... In fact... last time I was there it seemed like more of a hang out for old men than it did a fish store, haha.

Kings discus is OK, that's a few blocks east of lims on King street.

Fishaholics is small, but has some more niche-y stuff like shrimp and rarer plants (as well as planted tank stuff)

Midway tropical fish and pets in midway is a cool shop, nice people working there, and is always busy when I make deliveries to them.

Dennys pet store in kirkland is good, a little pricey, but have a great FW fish selection, and once in a while have cultured plants.

Pet-pourri in everett used to be good, but they recently cut their store in half, and it seems like they've been getting rid of more and more stock tanks. I was there on Saturday and it was a ghost town.

that's my rundown, hah

Thanks I live Ballard so the Kirkland store will be easy for me to visit. Also never heard of the midway shop, I'll check it out.
SeattleFishGuy is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
SeattleFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi SeattleFishGuy,

I just got back from the GSAS Board Meetings and saw your post. The Fish Store is definitely one of the best LFS in the Seattle area with typically a good selection of fish and healthy plants; several GSAS members sell their extra fish and plants there. In addition there is Denny's Pet World in Totem Lake, A Place for Pets in Burien, and Sierra Fish and Pets in Renton. All typically have interesting fish and plants you will not find in the "big box" stores.

If you are interested in a 'road trip' a one of the best stores in the Northwest is The Wet Spot in Portland, especially for unusual fish species. While you are down there check out A World of Wet Pets.

I hope you can make our GSAS meeting on March 13th, Dick Au is up from the San Francisco area and doing a presentation "Raising Fish for Fun and Profit" and it should be great. I too came back to the hobby after a long sabbatical; some things have changed but the basics are still the same. I hope to see you there; just ask for Roy!

Thanks Roy I might just have to come to a GSAS meeting. Also thanks for the info on the Portland shops, I go down often for work and I'll have to find an excuse to get down there soon!
SeattleFishGuy is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,688
Hi SeattleFishGuy,

Glad I could help! GSAS is an awesome club with a growing membership from young to not-so-young; beginners to advanced hobbyists. A typical meeting has about 70 members and guests with a guest speaker, refreshments, and a 'mini-auction' where members sell of their 'extra' fish and plants....there are usually some great bargains on some rare and unusual fish and plants. If you show up, be ready for 2 1/2 hours of FUN with a bunch of crazy fish and plant folk!




Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Seattle_Aquarist is online now  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Miles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 418
If you ever make it up to Bellingham, they have the best LFS I've ever seen, Clark's Feed & Seed. Name doesn't sound like a fish store, but that's all it is, I take the train from Edmonds just to go to that store.
Miles is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
SeattleFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
If you ever make it up to Bellingham, they have the best LFS I've ever seen, Clark's Feed & Seed. Name doesn't sound like a fish store, but that's all it is, I take the train from Edmonds just to go to that store.
Thanks Miles I hadn't heard of it...I did drive down to The Wet Spot and that place although a little dark and dank had an AMAZING selection unrivaled by anything I've ever seen. Can't wait to check out Clarks...I'll google it first. A train sounds like the perfect way to go!
SeattleFishGuy is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
kribkeeper888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Epicfail Washington
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFishGuy View Post
Thanks Miles I hadn't heard of it...I did drive down to The Wet Spot and that place although a little dark and dank had an AMAZING selection unrivaled by anything I've ever seen. Can't wait to check out Clarks...I'll google it first. A train sounds like the perfect way to go!
The wetspot is the largest fish store in the northwest at the very least lol I love the fish there! I travel to seattle one a month or so, this thread has been real helpful lol
kribkeeper888 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Miles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 418
Yeah you might not find too much if you google it, it's Kindof a hole in the wall. They don't have a website or anything, but it's seriously the best place ever.
Miles is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
akdylpickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 502
Where in Bellingham is Clark's feed and seed located?
akdylpickles is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
SeattleFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdylpickles View Post
Where in Bellingham is Clark's feed and seed located?
try this...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...2&ved=0CA0Q_BI
SeattleFishGuy is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
SeattleFishGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 150
UPDATE:

I might as well update this thread....since I've posted I've tried several store in the Seattle or surrounding area.

The Fish Store: A very good selection of freshwater plants and fish. Great Nano tank setups. The store is very dated (it's been there FOREVER) and doesn't win any awards for beauty but the staff is knowledgable and friendly. Mike and Shannon rock!

Denny's Pet World: This large pet store is great! They have a separate room just for fish and they also have a great selection of plants and fish and the store is very clean and updated. The day I was there the staff was very helpful and they had plenty of staff there...I think three staff members where in the fish room alone. Anyway I have to say this was my favorite store and if I lived on the eastside I would go there all the time.

Fishaholics: I went on a Sunday around 1:30 and everything (web, Facebook and store itself) said they were open until I got to the store and it was closed (i'm guessing somebody went to lunch)...anyway all I could do was look in the store, very small but had some interesting things. Still I was disappointed!

Midway: I want to go here to see their freshwater shrimp selection but haven't made it yet (maybe this weekend). :big grin:

I know there are several more stores to go to I just haven't made it yet, I'll report back after I go on each one.
SeattleFishGuy is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,688
Hi SeattleFishGuy,

I also recommend A Place for Pets in Burien for an excellent selection of different (sometimes obscure) fish species and KNO3, KH2PO4.

Sierra Fish and Pets in Renton has a good selection of fish, dry goods, and plants.

Of the four stores you mentioned, and the two I just listed, all are GSAS Sponsor Stores and give GSAS members discounts on purchases except for Fishaholics.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Seattle_Aquarist is online now  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 784
I live in Issaquah on the eastside and this is very helpful for me as well. thanks

I'd add my experience with some of the stores mentioned:

Fishaholics - has small but nice selection of shrimp and tetras suitable for nano tanks. very limited on equipment but willing to order what u need for ADA equip. Tommy is the one to talk to. It's best to call and ask when they will be open as they are NEVER open when I stopped by before either.

Blue Sierra has two locations, the Renton store is bigger with other pet supplies, usually busy and offers standard stock with mid- range equipment. The store in Issaquah is smaller but is only fish, with decent fish stock and similar equip. Nice people but will sell stock over what is probably best solution so I'm wary of their advice.

I haven't been Denny's yet but it sounds like its worth the trip to check out. Thanks for tips!


my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome