Petco / Sterling VA - The Planted Tank Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
mobruler78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 64
Petco / Sterling VA

Just stopped by on my lunch break and they had a pretty good assortment. I was able to pick up 8 Galaxy Rasboras (Celestial Pearl Danio's) and they had a couple of German Rams, Discus, and Green Puffers as well. I can't find CPD's anywhere since they are too sensitive to keep in the larger fish store systems.
mobruler78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Planted Member
 
Brian041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobruler78 View Post
Just stopped by on my lunch break and they had a pretty good assortment. I was able to pick up 8 Galaxy Rasboras (Celestial Pearl Danio's) and they had a couple of German Rams, Discus, and Green Puffers as well. I can't find CPD's anywhere since they are too sensitive to keep in the larger fish store systems.
That's pretty good. Discus you don't see in big box stores. Sadly the closest petco to me is the staples mill and short pump ones.
Brian041 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Planted Member
 
ramen lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 241
Did they have anymore? How much were they? the LFS in manassas had some.. but they wanted $9 each
ramen lover is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
mobruler78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 64
I'll check back tomorrow.

$9 is ridiculous
mobruler78 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,271
The LFS in Centerville, Centerville Aquariums or something like that, had CPDs when I was there a long time ago but they were asking about $9 for them too. They also had a tank for Red Cherry Shrimp (they were out of stock) and were asking $4 or $5 a pop for that.

Pretty wild :/

The Petco in Burke usually carries some Discus and a few other neat fish like the Black Ghost Knifefish and Elephantnose. In my experience though the Petsmart in Fair Lakes or Springfield tend to have a better selection of fish although rarely anything out of the ordinary. Petsmart in springfield did have some White Cloud MM (as of 2 days ago) although they didn't seem to be that great of stock.
AquaStudent is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Planted Member
 
ramen lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
The LFS in Centerville, Centerville Aquariums or something like that, had CPDs when I was there a long time ago but they were asking about $9 for them too. They also had a tank for Red Cherry Shrimp (they were out of stock) and were asking $4 or $5 a pop for that.

Pretty wild :/

The Petco in Burke usually carries some Discus and a few other neat fish like the Black Ghost Knifefish and Elephantnose. In my experience though the Petsmart in Fair Lakes or Springfield tend to have a better selection of fish although rarely anything out of the ordinary. Petsmart in springfield did have some White Cloud MM (as of 2 days ago) although they didn't seem to be that great of stock.
yeah Centreville Aquarium, Aquatic Obsession (aka the Cozy Clownfish) and Pristine Aquariums.. all 3 are in the Northern VA area. they all wanted about $4-5 each for red cherry shrimp. i bought 20 on here for dirt cheap and now i probably have over 100 (they breed like crazy!). i wonder if i could sell them to the LFS lol. or at least get store credit
ramen lover is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
mobruler78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 64
Or you could sell some to me! Starting up a nano tank.

I've been to all 3 of those stores. I used to frequent Cozy Clownfish (still in business?) when I worked in Manassas. They had a good FW selection / prices even though they were mainly a reef shop.
mobruler78 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Planted Member
 
ramen lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobruler78 View Post
Or you could sell some to me! Starting up a nano tank.

I've been to all 3 of those stores. I used to frequent Cozy Clownfish (still in business?) when I worked in Manassas. They had a good FW selection / prices even though they were mainly a reef shop.
Once my babies mature and I get more babies, I wouldn't mind selling some RCS for cheap.

I went on Friday to the Petco and they still had some Galaxy Rasboras! Not many left in stock. I purchased 6 for my nano rimless tank. One jumped out though
ramen lover is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
mobruler78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 64
Awesome. Let me know when they are ready. I'll take a dozen or so..

Good to hear about Galaxy Rasboras. After talking to the fish dept guy, corporate will let him get a few more exotic species since he knows what he's doing. He's going to try and get a better plant selection as well.

I'll keep you updated if they get anything good. I stop by there once in a while on my lunch break.
mobruler78 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
hisxlency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 373
ill be by that Petco tomorrow, ill be sure to see whats there

Add me to the list of shrimps, im starting a Fluval Edge next week
hisxlency is offline  
Reply

Tags
celestial pearl danio, galaxy rasbora, petco, virginia

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome