Cycle new tank with water, fish and filter from established tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Cycle new tank with water, fish and filter from established tank?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and also to planted tanks and would like to hear if the following method would work.

We currently have a well established 30gallon bow front that contains fish only and would like to use 5-10 gallons of that water along with the HOB 75gph filter, some decorative rock along with the 6 fish we have to help establish/cycle our new tank.

The new tank is a 47gallon column with the following:

• Eco-complete topped with Super Naturals Peace River
  • Fluval 406 canister filter
  • Fluval 200watt heater
  • Current USA Satellite +Pro 18" fixture
  • Hydor nano circulation pump
  • GLA pressurized CO2 system with inline Atomic diffuser

I am looking to include low to moderate light plants.

My plan was to set up the new tank with the plants and then add approx. 5 gallons of water from the established tank along with one large rock, the fish and also the HOB filter hoping that this could seed and support both the fish and plants.

I will be monitoring the levels and making water changes as needed and no additional fish would be added until the tank is completely cycled.

Please confirm is this would work or suggest any alternative methods along this same line.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Algae Grower

Assuming that the old tank had no substrate (i.e. the biofiltration capacity all resided in the filter) and the newly purchased plants don't start dying, you'll be fine. Otherwise, transfer the gravel as well, as this is where the main biofilter capacity might be. You can remove it later from the surface of your Eco-Complete once everything is seeded and stable. And be careful, adding plants relatively gradually, to make sure there's no mass die-off of the plant matter to overwhelm your nascent biofiltration in the presence of the fish. It is unlikely but could happen with, say, mail-order, emersed-grown plants.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i don't think you will have any issues.

I have set up/torn down various tanks using the methods you describe. using media from an existing, up and going filter always speeds up the cycle.

i would monitor the tank closely in the beginning to make sure everything happens, but it should work fine.

i completely disagree about using old substrate - that will just make a mess and be a PITA to clean out

120g Nano Paradise
- Dwarf Emerald Rasboras, Celestial Pearl Danios Glowlight Danios, Ember Tetras, Scarlet Badis, RCS, Assassin Snails, Neirite Snails, Black Molly, Dwarf Gourami

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...881&highlight=
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Moving the water does some good in the way of keeping water parameters normal but nothing much for the bacteria as it is on hard surface items more than the water. No problem, there. But moving the substrate is not much help as the bacteria will be on or near the surface as they need O@. Once moved and buried, they will be of little help and die. Moving the filter where we hope a lot of the bacteria is living is a big plus as the filter and media are designed to hold bacteria. There will be some lost on the old walls, etc. but the existing should jump up to replace that very quickly while you are also giving more water to dilute any pollution created. Same pollution from the same fish but divided more to make fewer PPM?
I would expect not trouble but it always pays to watch and maybe do some extra testing. The fish will often be the first to let you know when they act in odd ways more than just the normal new tank nervous stuff.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, I will stick with my original plan then and see how it goes.

Kevin

Tags
cycle, new tank set up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode