The Planted Tank Forum banner

making sure used sand is safe?

562 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Straight shooter 
#1 ·
so I bought a new tank off craigslist previous owner has white sand already in the tank, which is what I planned on using anyway. not knowing the history of the tank though is there a way to kill any nastys that may be lurking in the tank? or is the fact its been dry for months enough to be sure that is not an issue?

#2 ·
Give through wash in strong bleach water.

Wash again and again to get rid of the bleach or just spread it out and let it dry before reusing.

#4 ·
At the price of sand, I do not try to keep it. One is that it can stay wet enough for snails to live in the wet parts even after months. Two is how long it takes for it to totally dry after a bleach soak.One MTS left alive in the sand can ruin my whole plan but I don't find it until six months down the road when it is too late to correct.
At ten dollars or so, My time and wondering about the question is too much. I go for a couple bags of new pool filter sand and mark the old as another cost of having fun in the hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.